Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Unknown Part

1. Back To Top    #1

Unknown Part

Can someone tell me what this piece is, I believe it is on the auto fill line, 3/4" PVC piping

2. Back To Top    #2
    Fleming Island, FL

Re: Unknown Part

It is a backflow preventer. Keeps water from flowing in the opposite direction. Usually find these on irrigation systems between the meter and the start of the system to keep water from flowing back into the city water system.
    Pool: 28,000 gallons IG; IC 40 SWG; Pentair 120 gpm cartridge filter; Marble finish; Pentair Wisperflow 1.5 hp; Polaris 360
    Spa: 350 gallon; Bromine
    How to shock your pool

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you very much! It looks slightly more complicated than some of the backflow valves i have seen in the past. What can I replace it with and do I need to involve the city if it is located at a hotel?

4. Back To Top    #4
    Orlando, FL

Usually, your city water department will have all the info you need on that.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

5. Back To Top    #5

Central Massachusetts

Why do you want to replace it?
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

it is leaking, i can find double backflow preventers but what is the piece that is pointing downward?

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by JoMain
    it is leaking, i can find double backflow preventers but what is the piece that is pointing downward?
    Watts call that a reduced pressure "zone assembly"

Many municipalities require them because they are more expensive than a standard double check valve

The piece on the bottom is calls an "air gap" which isnt needed if its just draining on the floor like it appears to be doing.
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool