Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spring pH changes

1. Back To Top    #1

Spring pH changes

Has anyone in the South seen their pH levels drop substantially (7.5 to 7.0 in a couple days) around this time of year? I have seen a lot of pollen floating on the top of the pool, and am curious if that has anything to do with it. PH hasn't been an issue in my pool so far, so i was surprised to see this.

Any sanity checks appreciated.
    Pentair WhisperFlo WFDS-4 - Pentair Tagelus TA 100D
    16x32 Vinyl Rectangle 3.5 to 8 ft deep - One skimmer, One dedicated suction, three returns - 2" PVC
    Poolvergnuegen Two Wheel Suction Cleaner - One Poolskim
    Inter-Fab T7 Diving Board w/Edgewater Assy - Four Pentair Deck Jets - Intermatic T10604R
    Circupool RJ45 - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit (purchased prior to learning of the TF-100, unfortunately)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Spring pH changes

Quote Originally Posted by ncpool
    Has anyone in the South seen their pH levels drop substantially (7.5 to 7.0 in a couple days) around this time of year? I have seen a lot of pollen floating on the top of the pool, and am curious if that has anything to do with it. PH hasn't been an issue in my pool so far, so i was surprised to see this.

Any sanity checks appreciated.
    Seems like an extreme change. Where is your TA? If your TA is below 50, pH will start to bounce.

First I would retest with a sample from 18 inches down in the deep end. Make sure the test sample is right on the meniscus line and the bottle is completely vertical as you count the drops (and count accurately). One can always make sure of the exact color by adding one drop at a time of Base Demand to low pH to see how many drops it takes to get a color change to the next color on the chart (the opposite for high pH add acid demand).

How much of the rain did you get? Rain water has a pH of about 5, acid rain about 4. Remember that the pH scale is logarithmic. The difference between 7.4 and 7.0 is 400 percent not 4/10s.
    Pool #1 IG 24k Diamond Brite plaster with spill-over spa. Jandy Aqua Link RS One Touch with built into pool floor cleaner. Jacuzzi Magnum pump/basket feeding Hayward top mount Zeosand filter. Jacuzzi Magnum pump/basket for Spa Jets. Heat Siphon pool heat pump. Dolphin Robotic pool cleaner.

Pool #2 IG 35K 20X40 Vinyl. Hayward top mount Zeosand filter with Pentair 3 HP IntelliFlo VS+SVRS. Chemical Free pool using Water Doctor Copper Ion Generator, PoolSkim, Polaris 9300 Sport robotic pool cleaner, Heat Siphon pool heat pump, solar blanket, Ameri-Dome 50X30 dome enclosure during Winter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Just to make sure, are you drawing your water sample with the pool pump running? That water needs to mix well before a representative sample can be obtained.

4. Back To Top    #4

Is it just because the water is warmer so the pH is just dropping naturally? I thought that was one of the reasons why during the winter (with colder water) the pH would be a bit higher than normal (and why it was OK not to add MA as long as it stayed in the high 7s).
    14'x30' (est. 14K gal) w/spillover spa (est. 500 gal) - 1995 // Diamond Brite Blue Quartz - 2006
    Hayward SwimPure Plus T-15 - 2013 // Zodiac MX-8 - 2013
    Plain ol' Intermatic mechanical timer // Pump: 1 HP Pentair SuperFlo - 2012
    Filter: Hayward C17502(S) Cartridge Filter - 2011 // Heat Pump: Sunrunner/Aquapro 1300 (127K BTU) - 2011

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the feedback folks. I have no idea what caused the sudden pH drop, but i added four lbs of soda ash, and two lbs of baking soda yesterday. pH looks good again at 7.6, though my TA is a bit high now at 110 (from 80). If i had it to do over, i would have just added the soda ash to up the pH, and waited on the baking soda once the pH got back to normal.

Thanks again.
    Pentair WhisperFlo WFDS-4 - Pentair Tagelus TA 100D
    16x32 Vinyl Rectangle 3.5 to 8 ft deep - One skimmer, One dedicated suction, three returns - 2" PVC
    Poolvergnuegen Two Wheel Suction Cleaner - One Poolskim
    Inter-Fab T7 Diving Board w/Edgewater Assy - Four Pentair Deck Jets - Intermatic T10604R
    Circupool RJ45 - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit (purchased prior to learning of the TF-100, unfortunately)