New to hot tubs???

caseyb

Mar 14, 2011
I recently purchased my first hot tub used. It came with a supply of Pristine Blue chemicals which I have been using and am having no problems. I put in the Pristine Power after each use as instructed and am running an ozonator. My water stays clear but I am not sure if its sanitary. Can I use bleach along with Pristine Blue so I have some chlorine in the water?? Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

PristineBlue is copper sulfate pentahydrate (pesticide registration is here). Copper ions at pool/spa concentrations allowed by the EPA (<= 1.3 ppm; usually < 0.8 ppm to prevent staining) do absolutely nothing to fecal bacteria because the concentration of copper ions in human blood serum is 0.7 to 1.5 ppm so such bacteria have mechanisms to survive and thrive quite well in such an environment (full technical details here).

So you can ditch the PristineBlue since it isn't really helping much at all. The ozonator is mostly oxidizing your bather waste to keep the water fairly clear. For sanitation, you can use bleach, but should NOT use it without using Dichlor first to build up the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level to around 30 ppm. See Using Chlorine in a Spa for more details (a summary is at the bottom of that post). Be sure to lower your Total Alkalinity (TA) significantly and ideally get 50 ppm Borates into the water (say, from ProTeam Gentle Spa) as this will help prevent the pH from rising as quickly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.