Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First time using SWG new pool water should I have to shock

1. Back To Top    #1

First time using SWG new pool water should I have to shock

I am totally new to using an SWG, I have the Aquatrol for above ground pools. return jet mounting. Okay, so it has been up and running since Saturday, my salt level is 3100, well within range according to their instructions. Pool water was fairly balanced when it started, however I can't get the chlorine levels to raise. Should I have to add the old fashioned shock to get the chlorine level up initially? Just curious. I do not know the answer Thanks for any help!
    24' by 52" all resin Trevi 222
    Armor shield and GLI aquarium liner
    Hayward aquatrol SWG
    Waterway 22 sand filter
    1.5 hp 2 speed pump
    Pool deck is done! (except for the deck texturized coating) :)

Hopefully, I can run this pool with out any professional and costly help this summer!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First time using SWG new pool water should I have to sho

If there is no FC in the water, then yes do add manually until the SWG can keep up.

In the meantime, here are a few items to "checklist" to see if we can diagnose your issue

Test results...specifically FC, CC (if too high...you may need to shock, since the swg will not keep up w/chlorine demand), CYA (may be too low), SALT (confirm how you measured the 3100ppm), Water Temp (SWGs struggle to produce chlorine when water temps are 60 or below)
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: First time using SWG new pool water should I have to sho

I think the temp may be the issue, I did not know that would be a problem. The control panel for the aquatrol reads 3100 ppm on the LCD. I added CYA to bring the stabilizer level up to 60-80 ppm, hopefully the water will warm up and I'll get a better feel for the level of FC. Thanks for the advice!
    24' by 52" all resin Trevi 222
    Armor shield and GLI aquarium liner
    Hayward aquatrol SWG
    Waterway 22 sand filter
    1.5 hp 2 speed pump
    Pool deck is done! (except for the deck texturized coating) :)

Hopefully, I can run this pool with out any professional and costly help this summer!