First time using SWG new pool water should I have to shock

Feb 15, 2011
Newnan, GA
I am totally new to using an SWG, I have the Aquatrol for above ground pools. return jet mounting. Okay, so it has been up and running since Saturday, my salt level is 3100, well within range according to their instructions. Pool water was fairly balanced when it started, however I can't get the chlorine levels to raise. Should I have to add the old fashioned shock to get the chlorine level up initially? Just curious. I do not know the answer Thanks for any help! :wave:

Re: First time using SWG new pool water should I have to sho

If there is no FC in the water, then yes do add manually until the SWG can keep up.

In the meantime, here are a few items to "checklist" to see if we can diagnose your issue

Test results...specifically FC, CC (if too high...you may need to shock, since the swg will not keep up w/chlorine demand), CYA (may be too low), SALT (confirm how you measured the 3100ppm), Water Temp (SWGs struggle to produce chlorine when water temps are 60 or below)

Re: First time using SWG new pool water should I have to sho

I think the temp may be the issue, I did not know that would be a problem. The control panel for the aquatrol reads 3100 ppm on the LCD. I added CYA to bring the stabilizer level up to 60-80 ppm, hopefully the water will warm up and I'll get a better feel for the level of FC. Thanks for the advice!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.