Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cal Hypo and Trichlor, which to add first?

1. Back To Top    #1

Cal Hypo and Trichlor, which to add first?

I'm filling my pool up with rainwater after some work done to it. The pool at the moment is bare concrete and obviously needs extra calcium and stabiliser to stop calcium being leached from the shell and to protect the bleach I will be using later. As it is quite convenient I intend to use Cal Hypo bars and Tri chlor pucks until the ideal levels are reached (250 CH 80 CYA).
    My question is which should I concentrate on first in that it is spring here now and the sun isn't too powerful yet. I won't be swimming for at least a month. Should I start with the Cal hypo while the solar is low? Should I add a few pounds of CaCl to get the CH up quickly or can I wait until the Cal hypo does it on it's own?
    Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
    Self built 5500 gallon bare concrete (temporarily) pool with limestone coping, Pentair Swimmey 1/2 HP pump, Triton sand filter with DE, Simpool peristaltic muriatic acid pump with pH sensor and Monarch SWG. Home made solar heater with Pentair Compool control panel and 3 way valve. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns, 2" plumbing, Hayward auto fill valve.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cal Hypo and Trichlor, which to add first?

What is the CH level now?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

You need some CYA or you will lose all of your chlorine every day. You likewise need some CH or there will be problems. It is much easier to compensate for low CH levels by raising the PH and/or TA, than it is to compensate for low CYA levels. The ideal approach depends on all of your current levels.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

CYA is zero, CH is 100 ( I did add some water from our bore hole ). It's still filling now but I don't think the levels will change much.
    Self built 5500 gallon bare concrete (temporarily) pool with limestone coping, Pentair Swimmey 1/2 HP pump, Triton sand filter with DE, Simpool peristaltic muriatic acid pump with pH sensor and Monarch SWG. Home made solar heater with Pentair Compool control panel and 3 way valve. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns, 2" plumbing, Hayward auto fill valve.

5. Back To Top    #5

So as Jason stated, you should raise your CYA first using Tri-Chlor. Keep an eye on the CSI using the Pool Calculator and adjust the pH to keep the CSI negative. After you get the CYA up then start with the Cal hypo to raise the CH, again keeping an eye on pH and lowering as the CH increases.
    Carlos
    Pool: 28,000 gallons IG; IC 40 SWG; Pentair 120 gpm cartridge filter; Marble finish; Pentair Wisperflow 1.5 hp; Polaris 360
    Spa: 350 gallon; Bromine
    How to shock your pool

6. Back To Top    #6

As benavidescj said, adding CYA should be your first priority. You can compensate for the low CH level by keeping your PH about 0.3 to 0.4 higher than you would otherwise keep it. Your ideal PH range depends on your TA level.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Brilliant answers, cleared that up for me thank you.