Goldsboro, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I have a Pentair MiniMax NT heater with my pool and have never used it since we just purchased the home a month ago. I was wondering, how much gas is really consumed by using the heater? There is a 500 gallon tank that is connected to it for that sole purpose. For instance, would I use the entire tank if I heated the pool at night between now and, lets say June and then some at the end of the season?

I have a Pentair MaxETherm 400 BTU heater that heats our spa (660 gallons) full time at 70 degrees in MD where the average temp for the past 3 months was about 30 degrees. When in the hot tub it's at 100-102 degrees for probably 3-4 hours. We average being in the hot tub about 2-4 times per week. I spent $60/month in gas expenses which included heating the house when temperatures went low and the secondary heat kicked in on our heat pump in the house. I was pleasantly suprised and expected a much higher bill (~$100/month). I've been working on all the walls around my new pool and let me tell you - $60/month to go in the hot tub after working all day hauling 80 pound wall, it's worth every penny. To heat our 22000 gallon pool to 70 degrees during the winter probably would run more like $200-400/month which won't happen. Your costs are directly related to how much you're heating and what the delta in temperature is. Not sure where you live, but hopefully my story can give you some guidance.

I live in eastern NC, so the air temps from now until probably late Sept. or early Oct. will be good. I was looking to "help" out the pool temp between now and May/June when the water temp will be at a good level, but it is 22,600 gallons and judging by your post that would cost a pretty penny to keep it at a good temp, so I think I will do for now! $60 for the spa per month is not bad, though and definitely seems it would be worth it! :cool:

SPKNout4CHRIST said:
I was wondering, how much gas is really consumed by using the heater?

I can help you a little. You just need to tell me how many BTU is the heater output. I assume 100,000 BTU since its a minimax.

For a 22,600 gallon pool, a 10 degree rise using the 100,000 BTU heater would take around 18 hours and ~18 gallons of propane to raise the water 10 degrees. How much you would actually need to hold it at a given temp depends on use of a solar cover, how cold it gets at night, wind speed, etc. IOW, a lot of factors go into the cost of heating a pool and holding it there.
Not sure how much propane is where you are but her I pay $2.99 a gallon. So that 10 degrees would cost me around $54. Propane pool heat isnt cheap. Natural gas would cost about $20 for that same 10 degrees.

Heating your pool with propane :?:

To heat a 22,000 gal pool and maintain it to 80 F in Greensboro, NC with an average temperature of 58 F for the month of April.
The month of April, on average will consume 350 gallons of propane using a solar blanket.
If you don't use a solar blanket, you will need 900 gallons for the Month of April. :cry:

To heat your pool from now until June 1st using a solar cover would take around 800 Gallons. $2400 :shock:
September and October would consume 500 additional gallons for a seasonal total of 1300 gallons $3900. :pale:

Source- Aquacal Pool Audit 6.0

That aquacal heater program poolschoolgrad is using is, IMO, misleading at best. Lots of factors it doesnt take into account. Even with propane, you would use near that much since how you use the pool and how often you heat it up is not accounted for. Also, the company that puts out the program sells heat pumps, so there is an agenda on how the program is set up. You not going to keep the pool a constant 85 degrees in september (at least most dont). You will heat it u on a warm weekend here and there. Much different. That my beef with the program.

Poolschoolgrad:

Yes, heating with propane. When you have no natural gas, thats the only thing you can do if you want a gas heater.

Spring break is just around the corner and the kids will want to swim.

Put a 100 gallons of propane in the tank and heat up the pool. Enjoy the week with the family.

You could easily spend more than $300 in gasoline if you take the family on a vacation instead of a "staycation"

Life is short, enjoy your pool :cheers:

Poolschoolgrad said:
Spring break is just around the corner and the kids will want to swim.

Put a 100 gallons of propane in the tank and heat up the pool. Enjoy the week with the family.

You could easily spend more than $300 in gasoline if you take the family on a vacation instead of a "staycation"

Life is short, enjoy your pool :cheers:

+1

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.