Earthquakes and pools

kal2002

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 4, 2010
Sacramento, CA
With the recent earthquake and tsunami happening in Japan, I wonder what effects they will have on inground pools. When San Francisco had its major earthquake in 1989, I wonder how many pools were damaged and if they were repairable. Does anyone know?

Beez said:
I bet earthquake insurance in San Francisco is like flood insurance in New Orleans... :whip:
Yup, it's expensive. It more than doubles the insurance premium on a house and has a large deductible of 10% or 15%. For a $500,000 policy with associated coverages at their minimums and a 15% deductible it's about $1000 per year. You can read more at the California Earthquake Authority.

I lived in San Jose when the Loma Prieta quake hit. My apartment complex was circular, with the pool and patio in the center. The pool itself had no damage. But about the top 5 feet of water sloshed out. It sent a wave right through some open sliding glass doors, and washed all the tanbark out of the planters and dragged it back into the pool. Total mess.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
salp said:
BK, REALLY..., Earthquake Insurance?????? You make me laugh like a giraffe! You can just donate that $50.00 to me for my Earthquake Insurance Policy...

Ok, you laugh. About 4 years ago down on the south shore in Swansea, MA, there was an earthquake. Measured about a 4 (yea i know little one). It destroyed a house. Leveled it. Believe it or not, Boston sits on a fault line that runs into central mass. If we had a pretty decent quake, the entire back bay boston from Comm. Ave to the river would go right into the Charles since its all fill. About 3 years ago, my house rattled with a 3.5 centered in West Boylston in Worcester county. $50 is cheap even if it never happened. If it did, i'm covered :goodjob:

salp said:
BK, REALLY..., Earthquake Insurance?????? You make me laugh like a giraffe! You can just donate that $50.00 to me for my Earthquake Insurance Policy...
My insurance deductible is pretty cheap for every kind of damage EXCEPT earthquakes. For earthquake damage, it's about 5x the amount :shock: Thankfully, I haven't had to use it :cool:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.