Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pressure Side Pool Cleaner

1. Back To Top    #1

Pressure Side Pool Cleaner

I don't have a pressure side pool cleaner yet. The pool that comes with the house has a booster pump and a pressure fitting (or whatever you call it) for a pressure side pool cleaner.

From reviewing the posts here, it seems to the two pressure side cleaners that come to the top of the list are the Polaris 280 and the Pressure 4 Wheel (4x) Pool Cleaner.

What are you're opinions and recommendations regarding these. Also, has anyone done a comparison of these two? What advantages/disadvantages does one have over the other?
    19,600 gal, Vinyl, Grecian L, StaRite Dura-Glas 1 HP pump, 3/4hp booster, Pentair Clean and Clear 420 Cartridge filter
    The Pool Cleaner 4x, PoolSkim

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pressure Side Pool Cleaner

I am disappointed that mine is not on the list, the Polaris 360. It works great also and I have not had any issues with it.
    Carlos
    Pool: 28,000 gallons IG; IC 40 SWG; Pentair 120 gpm cartridge filter; Marble finish; Pentair Wisperflow 1.5 hp; Polaris 360
    Spa: 350 gallon; Bromine
    How to shock your pool

3. Back To Top    #3

Either work great, I prefer "The Pool Cleaner" Less moving parts...

4. Back To Top    #4

Carlos,

You must not be that proud of your 360, its not even in your signature...

5. Back To Top    #5

Sure it is, and I am proud of it . I always thought leaves were going to be problem since I do not have a screen enclosure and have lots of trees. The Polaris cleans up pretty quick following leaf drops and the skimmers handle the rest.
    Carlos
    Pool: 28,000 gallons IG; IC 40 SWG; Pentair 120 gpm cartridge filter; Marble finish; Pentair Wisperflow 1.5 hp; Polaris 360
    How to shock your pool

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Go with either the Polaris 280 or the Pentair legend...The 360 isn't a pressure side cleaner..

7. Back To Top    #7

The 360 sure is a pressure side cleaner. I own one and it is on the pressure side.
    Carlos
    How to shock your pool

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by benavidescj
    The 360 sure is a pressure side cleaner. I own one and it is on the pressure side.
    The 380 is a pressure cleaner it runs off a boaster pump.. The 360 is a return side cleaner which means it runs either either by plugging into one of the returns or has a dedicated line with no boaster pump...

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Keven,

For the sake of clarity, most of us here on the forum refer to the two sides of a circulatory system as pressure side or suction side.

Since the returns are on the pressure side of the system, the 360 is a pressure side cleaner but one without a booster pump.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for clearing that up Dave.
    Carlos
    How to shock your pool

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Polaris also refers to the 360 as pressure-side cleaner.

Reference: http://polarispool.com/poolcleaners/default.aspx
    Josh Ulfers - josh@saltpoolguys.com - 888-725-8766
    SaltPoolGuys.com - AutoPilot Pool Pilot Systems, Parts & Cells - AquaCal Heat Pumps

12. Back To Top    #12

I noticed that the Polaris has a tail and the Pool Cleaner doesn't. Interestingly enough, both products underscore this difference as a feature. Polaris says its a scrubber. The Pool Cleaner's flyer states "No sweep/whip hose that puts dirt into suspension."

Those of you who've used these product what do you think about the tail. Is it a worthwhile feature?
    19,600 gal, Vinyl, Grecian L, StaRite Dura-Glas 1 HP pump, 3/4hp booster, Pentair Clean and Clear 420 Cartridge filter

13. Back To Top    #13

If the vacuum is doing it's job correctly there's no reason to have a tail. Now, if you never brush your pool as you're supposed to, then a tail would at least help that a little bit.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

14. Back To Top    #14

In my opinion the tail does not scrub at all. It is manufactured from a foam that has little scrubbing potential. I does however have the potential to blow particles, that are too small for the net to catch, up into the main body of water to be sucked up by the main drain or skimmers.
    Carlos
    How to shock your pool

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

I second what Carlos said. The tail is there to but debris into suspension not really scrub.
    Josh Ulfers - josh@saltpoolguys.com - 888-725-8766
    SaltPoolGuys.com - AutoPilot Pool Pilot Systems, Parts & Cells - AquaCal Heat Pumps

16. Back To Top    #16

Wow thanks for all the advice. The 280 sounds like its a great pool cleaner.

I was also looking at Pool Cleaner Pressure http://www.thepoolcleaner.com/4xpoolcleaner.html. What do you folks thing of this cleaner? What are your experiences/opinions? If you used both, how to they compare?