New pool start-up flow

Feb 9, 2011
Central Texas
I just put water in last Thursday and the tech started up on Friday. They have the Intelliflo VS running at 2850 RPM and it is reporting 1346 watts! I tested it at 1800 rpm and it reports ~ 350 watts. Do I really need to filter at that volume for the first week or so?

Not only how big but also add the rest of the info about the pool and equipment. That'll help us help you. :)

You most likely don't need to be running at 2850 rpm. You can probably get by with less than 1800 even.

You need to shoot for one turnover a day and you need enough flow so that your skimmer(s) work effectively. You can run most of the day at a very low speed and then have it run higher for a few hours to aid the skimmer action.

Pool specs:
~23000 gal
Pebble sheen finish
Pentair Intelliflo VS
Pentair Quad DE 80
Pentair MT 400 ng
Paramount O2
Rainbow chlorinator

2.5" suction
2" return
2 skimmers independent plumming
1 main drain
4 returns

I calculated that I could get a turnover every 6 hours or so at 2800. At 1800 I could get it in 12.

I just did not know if the newness of the pool required higher turnover to rid dust from plaster.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.