Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to tell if you need more sand?

1. Back To Top    #1

How to tell if you need more sand?

When I got my sand filter (details in sig) I added the correct amount of sand (I think at least) this year as I was redoing my pump area I noticed the sand looked low, it appears to be apx 1/4 to 1/3 full of sand. Does anybody know how far from the top the sand should be? I'd expect to have maby 10 inches on gap, closer to 2/3 full of sand.

Also I've noticed I am getting some small particles from the return, very small what look to be parts of flowers (maby seeds, less then 1/16th of a inch in size), is this due to low sand, or a cracked lateral? (ive found sand in the bottom of the pool, that's why I checked the return, no sand from that yet though.)
    Intex 18' AGP - Intex SWG - 19 inch Sand Dollar Sand Filter - 1HP Pentair Dynamo Pump - 4X20 Solar Panel - Goldline Solar Controller.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: How to tell if you need more sand?

In a sand dollar filter it should be about 10" down the standpipe.
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool

3. Back To Top    #3

I couldn't find a freeboard dimension in the manuals but 9" to 10" is the correct freeboard for that size filter.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm gonna pop the top and check today, but im pretty sure it was closer to 20, good thing I bought extra sand last year!

Is the 10 inches measured from top of downpipe, or top of filter?
    Intex 18' AGP - Intex SWG - 19 inch Sand Dollar Sand Filter - 1HP Pentair Dynamo Pump - 4X20 Solar Panel - Goldline Solar Controller.

5. Back To Top    #5

From the top of the filter flange.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Awesome thanks, think I'm gonna drain the sand and check the laterals while I've got it apart.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Dale.s
    Awesome thanks, think I'm gonna drain the sand and check the laterals while I've got it apart.

I would remove all of the sand and replace it with the specified amount that way there is no question wether you have the right, or wrong ammount.
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool

8. Back To Top    #8

Well laterals looked good, sand was way way low, added a bag and a half I had laying around (gf used half a bag for plants!!). And when I did my first backwash I lost around 10 pound of sand so it was defiantly low! I filled to 10 inches, so I'm guessing it should be 11 or 12 inches on this filter. Thanks for all the help!

9. Back To Top    #9

Dale, are you losing sand during every back wash? If so, something is not right...just checking.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

10. Back To Top    #10

As far as I have noticed only first fill and this last refill not in between, however I've never really been looking for it, next backwash I'll do it where I can check for sand. Its a good idea to check for, I've had to lost sand somehow!