Newbie question

oasis1

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 18, 2010
Central Illinois
Hi, I have a few questions before we "finalize" our 15 x 30 pool deal. The installer still has to come out to see if we have room for that size otherwise we will get a 12 x 24....Our package includes the following-
Nature II Purifier System...what is this? and do we need this?

2.0 H.P. Hayward Cartridge Filter System...is this type of filter a good one and size okay?

additional information...We are planning on doing the BBB method.

we do want a heater, is a Hayward 150,000 BTU Heater a good heater and right size?

Also, should we wait a certain amount of time for the pool to settle before building a deck?

Thanks for any help!!

Unless you have a spa or waterfall or other water feature, a 2 HP pump is way too large. As a general rule you want to pump smaller than most builders will try to sell you, ideally a two speed or variable speed pump, and a filter that is larger than what they will tend to try to sell you.

If the heater is gas I suggest getting something larger as it won't cost too much more and will greatly speed up heating. If it is a heat pump then 150,000 BTU is fine.

The Nature II system adds metals to the water which can cause unsightly stains if the metal level builds up too high. Metals will help prevent algae, but having proper chlorine levels will also prevent algae for less money and with no risk of stains.

Settling depends on how much of what kind of fill is added and how much it is compacted. If done properly no extra wait is required before you put in the deck.

Since this is an AGP, there won't be any settling. +1 to Jason's comments. Most AGPs will do just fine with a 3/4hp single speed (on a bodget) and a 250-300lb sand filter (oversized). Although if you can afford a two speed that would be your best bet (0.75 or 1hp 2spd is all you need on a agp with a single return and skimmer.

thanks. Is a sand filter better than a cartridge filter? do you know how much more 2 speed pump is compared to single speed? we've never owned a pool before so we have no experience with these things. any additional info would be great. oh, one more thing...should we tell the installer we are doing the BBB method or does it not matter to them?

Just bought a 1 HP 2speed Hayward fro $300 online to replace a working 1.5HP single speed. Biggest question is where are you and what is your electricity rate. At up to .39/kWhr in CA, I chose to replace a perfectly good pump to lower my electric bill. I didn't do the math but I'll sleep better when the pump is running knowing my electric meter isn't spinning like a fan.

If you want a single speed 1.5 hp, I can make you a good deal! :-D

I think the sand filter is a little less expensive than a cartridge filter. The cartridge filter will provide better fine particle filtration, but unless you get a lot of leaves and dirt debris you won't notice the difference. You don't say how large the cartridge filter will be so I can't say if it would be large enough or not. We usually recommend oversized filters of any type so you don't spend as much time cleaning them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.