Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First Time Tester

1. Back To Top    #1

First Time Tester

My pool is 8 days old and all my builder has done is throw 4 pucks in to keep some chlorine in it. I got my test kit today and need some help.

Numbers

Temp 59
    CYA <20
    PH at least 8.2
    TA 60
    CH 80 I think did...turned pink then went clear never blue.
    FC -0 if it is the test in with the ph

I could not figure out CC or TC any help would be great. I think I need to get ph down and have acid for that. Salt will be added in a few days. What do I need to do after adding acid. The calculator says 8.3 oz is this right. How long after adding acid do I retest PH. Thanks to everyone in advance.
    IG Freeform Gunite 32x16, 15000 gal, 1.5 Jandy Stealth Pump, Jandy 460 Cart. Filter, LED Light, Stone Scapes Tropics Blue Finish, Aqua Pure 1400

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First Time Tester

which test kit?

definitely test FC and pH for now and add slowly the acid until you're around 7.4... if you are running pump for several hours, you can retest a few times a day

I kept my new pool at 7.2 for 30 days deliberately.

no salt for at least 30 days and the recommendation I received here at TPF was preferably no salt for 60 days.

3. Back To Top    #3

It is the test kit from tfp.
    IG Freeform Gunite 32x16, 15000 gal, 1.5 Jandy Stealth Pump, Jandy 460 Cart. Filter, LED Light, Stone Scapes Tropics Blue Finish, Aqua Pure 1400

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by alf1096
    I could not figure out CC or TC any help would be great.
    Have you tried testing for overall chlorine level with the Yellow OTO drops, right next to the PH vial? If it does not turn any shade of yellow, you have no chlorine in the water and FC/CC will also register as zero on the FAD-DPD test.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

I'd get some chlorine in there pretty quick. You dont want to have an algae bloom out of the gate.

After that it's just about checking through the list -

PH - begin to add acid to bring that down.
    CYA - it would help to get some more in the pool. You'll be loosing chlorine to sunlight very quickly until then.
    CH - calcium seems low - but I'm not sure when the CH test is going to be "valid" Others will have opinions on when to start bringing that up into range.

TA - it's fine, dont worry about it.
    Salt - hold off.

Are you comfortable with the Pool Calculator for dosing?

Did they leave you a big jug of Pucks?
    16K Gal Plaster | Compupool SWG | Intelliflow VF | TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

With fresh plaster the PH will go up quickly for the first three to five weeks, and more slowly after that. You need to keep the PH down below 8.0 at all times if you possibly can. That usually means significant daily additions of muriatic acid.

TA and CH will come up as the plaster cures. Wait until the pool is about a month old before adjusting either one.

Trichlor pucks are a good way to startup a new plaster pool. They will raise the FC and CYA levels and help keep the PH down. Make sure there are always pucks the puck feeder, or in the skimmer basket. If you use pucks in the skimmer basket, keep the pump running 24 hours a day, which is also a good idea during the first month for other reasons.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

I got the ph down it took twice the calculated dose. I guess it was up there. Adding cya as we speak and dumped in some bleach. Anything else I should be looking for now.

any help on how to test cc would be great I did not see instructions on that.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by dmanb2b
    Quote Originally Posted by alf1096
    I could not figure out CC or TC any help would be great.
    Have you tried testing for overall chlorine level with the Yellow OTO drops, right next to the PH vial? If it does not turn any shade of yellow, you have no chlorine in the water and FC/CC will also register as zero on the FAD-DPD test.
    Complete TF100 instructions below

http://tftestkits.net/Test-Kit-Instructions-10.html

Step 5 below is how to measure CC

Chlorine Drop test - If you need to......1) measure Chlorine levels accurately or 2) higher than 5ppm or 3) test for Combined Chloramines…perform the Chlorine Drop Test. (FAS/DPD)
    1. Rinse and fill the “Chlorine only” graduated cylinder to the 10mL mark
    2. Add ONE heaping scoop of the R-870 powder and swirl to mix. (It may not all dissolve….don’t worry) The solution will turn pink. (unless you have no chlorine)
    3. Next, carefully add R-871 solution one drop at a time. Count each drop and swirl until the solution turns back to clear. Multiply the number of drops you added times .5 (14 drops X .5 = 7ppm)
    4. Record your results as FC (free chlorine)
    5. To test for Combined Chloramines, add 5 drops of R-0003 to the solution and swirl. If it remains clear, you have no CC’s. If it returns back to pink, add R-0871 as before, counting and swirling between each drop. Once the solution returns clear, multiply the added drops times .5 again…..this will be your CC reading. Record it. The total of FC and CC should be recorded as TC (total chlorine)
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator