Pool Quote - How am I doing?

Red Shirt Ensign

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 10, 2011
so I have aa quote for the following.... How am I doing price wise?

18' Round 54" Resin Frame and Aluminum Wall - Ovation Impulse
litehouse is the store (litehouse.com)

Waterway100 Filter system (1.5 HP)
Rapid Flow Skimmer
J-Hook 25 mil liner
Pro Kit which includes the various pools, hosing heads (brush, skimmer, etc...)
Upgrade to heavy duty winter cover from standard
12 mil solar cover (instead of 8mil,)

The pool was coming with free upgrade to "Frog" Kit which I "downgraded to Bromine system and they are now giving me a Joker Vac instead (Which I need due to pine needles close to the pool)

Step ladder upgraded to in pool steps or as they call it the "Smart Step" ladder system

installed with upto 6" grade allowance in leveling (Steeper slope to cost more up to 500-600 Dollar top out.)
choose this pool for all resin and aluminum construction since a portion (up to 2ft will be below the ground due to slope of yard)
any more than 2ft and I need a retianing wall... at which point were not going to proceed with a pool

Price before tax is $3,744
to go additional 3 feet is 300 more for 21' or 600 more for the 24' round

is it common to negotiate down from here... or is there typically little play ?

Questions and comments please

Thanks
Dan

Dan. welcome to TFP :wave: I would upgrade to the 24' if you have the room. The 1.5hp pump is overpowered, even for a 24' pool.

Also why Bromine vs Chlorine? Are you planning to install this indoors as Bromine, as we typically do not see too many outdoor bromine pools.

The price doesn't seem bad if it is an aluminum pool and includes installation...IMO.

I could switch between Bromine and chlorine..

The key was avoiding the frog which seem sto have an overall negative light on the forum...

A friend fo ours put in a pool 2 years ago and uses the bromine solution (Both he and ours would be an outdoor pool)
and it seems to work very well, and he has offered to share his "Chemistry and know how"

so it seems like a good solution
I realize that in order to shock you must revert to chlorine because bromine levels take time to build up etc...

Is there any particular reason that you feel bromine is a less than ideal solution?

And also, is there any wiggle room in neogtiation?

Thanks
Dan

P.S. The pump does have a 2 speed options so if it is slightly over powered I can at least run it on the low power setting. I intend to check the motor and service factor settings on the motor... I'm surprised I didn't do this before as I have a working knowledge in motor service having worked for a major motor manufactuerer and service company in my past.

People tend to have problems with Bromine over time and it's expensive.

Chlorine is your best bet. I'd even suggest a SWCG.
You need a bigger filter and a smaller pump. A 100 ft² cartridge filter isn't big enough and a 1½hp pump is too big.

There's always some wiggle room in the price. I wouldn't be afraid to work on them a little. Even if they won't come off the price they may be willing to throw in a better cleaner or change the filter and pump to what you need.

Thanks Everyone!
Since I first posted, we have laid out the circle on the ground and concluded we are moving up to a 24' foot round
So what is the recommendation for pump filter at this size?

keep the 1.5HP or down it further to say 1HP ? Filter system at 24' I believe is the waterway 150 instead should it be higher? Is this in Pool School because I haven't seen it yet though I will look more now

Going into the store tonight to haggle abit

I have a comparable from The Great Escape which for a 24' Round Sentinelle (Resin and Stainless with Hayward equipment)
is 3800.00 (Though they are using a 2hp Pump 2 speed with the hayward Voyager Pro filter)

Thanks
Dan

Even with a 24' the 1hp pump is more than enough and I'd go even larger on the filter. I go with at very least a 200 ft² filter and if the price wasn't much greater I'd opt for a 300 ft².

Here's just one topic of many about Bromine. Cost is probably the biggest problem with Bromine aside from the fact that it can't be stabilized against sunlight so you lose it a lot faster (which, by the way, leads to even greater cost).

I do have the option of using a sand system... any recommendation there? it would seem that the Cartridges may be more costly in the long run
One pool place I went to indicated that she thought a sand system would last 3-5 years between sand replacements and that a cartridge would be lucky to last a season any thoughts on maintenance and operating costs here?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Everything is negotiable :goodjob:

Bama already gave you the link on Bromine, but on the filter issue is that pools stores would like you to believe you are getting a great deal by including a 2hp (macho sounding) pump, yet they almost always undersize the filter. A typical AGP only has only has a single skimmer and a single return and can at most handle around 50GPM regardless of the pump HP or it max potential flow rate. What that means is your wasting electricity and will be getting at best mediocre filtering performance from you filter. Think of a 502 Chevy Big Block engine in a Chevy Aveo :hammer: as an everyday commuter car and the speed limit strictly enforced at 55MPH :goodjob:

The best bet is to see how much money they can take off the pkg for the pump filter combo and creat your own, via online sources. I run a 0.5hp fullrated pump and a 250lb sand filter, on the same sized pool and couldn't be happier.

Here is an intersting article on this very topic from poolsolutions.com

http://www.poolsolutions.com/tip83.html

and this

http://www.poolsolutions.com/gd/above_g ... blems.html

Hope this helps

Also on Bromine...once a Bromine Pool....always a Bromine pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.