Pool Refilled with clean water - help? new to this

monica

Mar 14, 2011
I have a pool that I have drained and cleaned. Going to add new water to it 15,000 to 18,000 gal. what do i need to do now for BBB method and (with everything new to all of this)?

Also some of the caulking/grout from deck to pool has come apart or loose over the years any quick fixes to this?

Last a few stress line cracks (not leaking at least i don't think) in pool should i fix before filling and how?

The first thing to do is to get your fill water tested for PH and TA to get an idea of what you will need to add to get those in range.

The first evening after filling add 2 ppm of chlorine and start adding around 30 ppm of CYA.

Caulking can be fixed fairly easily if you are at all handy. You need to clean out the old stuff and put fresh caulk in. It takes some work but is straightforward enough.

Very minor hair line cracks can normally be ignored. If the crack has some depth to it you may need to have it repaired.

Yes, you can test for yourself. I recommend the TF-100 or the Taylor K-2006, which you can get here http://tftestkits.net/Test-Kits-c4/. You can take a pool water sample to the pool store for a full set of tests while you are waiting for your own test kit to arrive.

Regular, unscented, 6 % bleach is the chlorine.

CYA is cyanuric acid. You have to get that at a pool store.

Don't get any baking soda or Borax until you have tested the water.

Click on the "Pool School" link at the top of the page for more information.

Reading Pool School is where to begin. Concentrate on the ABC's first. You can read that while you're waiting on your test kit. You can take a sample to the pool store, as James said, but be aware that they're test results are most often not accurate. Post the full set of results here and we can tell you what you need to adjust. Don't buy anything from the pool store until you've done that.

Ok pool full now.

I have went to the pool store and here are the results.

Chlorine 0
pH 7.4
Total Alkalinity 80 ppm
Cyanuric acid 0
Calcium Hardnes N/a
Iron/Copper N/a
Phes:100

this is new water so i have not added anything. I am about to add bleach - 5 gallons and CYA 10 pds.

Welcome to TFP!

What kind of pool do you have? Please add that and anything else you know about your equipment to your signature under the user control panel.

Read pool school a few times to get it all soaked in. There's a lot but it really is easy once you get over the shock (haha) of how simple it can be.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.