New pool, new water...pre-filter or straight tap?

Jun 29, 2010
Austin, TX
Hi everyone. Just about to get a new pool installed. I've been reading and searching through these forums for months now. Amazingly good information.

I've read a few posts that mention getting your tap water tested if you are using it to fill you pool but I have not seen any mention of what to do with those results.

I live in Austin, TX and got this information off of the city water website:
"Our drinking water is considered moderately hard. The hardness averages around 96 ppm or 5.6 grains per gallon.".

I'm getting a fiberglass pool which I have read can get stains from metals in the water. Should I consider getting a filter of some kind that attaches to the water hose during the pool fill?

As MITS said, that's not very hard water at all. According to the water report averages here are the numbers.
pH = 9.6 (You're gonna need acid)
Total Chlorine = 2.65
Total Alk = 74 (time you add all that acid you're gonna need baking soda)
Total Hardness = 103
Iron = < .05
Copper = <.02

On the quarterly average it lists the Calcium at 13ppm.

FWIW, when my last fillup was done, I paid a water filtering company recommended by my PB, who supplied tanks that had the appearance of large acetylene welding tanks, dropped off a few days before fillup commenced.

while we have excellent muni water, this removed all minerals and chemicals, cost was 100. it was easy to balance the water from that point forward.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.