Heater advice

Aug 29, 2010
Hi,

with spring on the way and only two feet of snow left I've realized it's time to start thinking about this pool again.

For my 12' x 30' poured cement pool of 12000 US gallons I'm looking at the following heater. It's the smallest model available and the only one I'm really ready to buy. I would just like any professional opinions as to whether this is a mistake or not. It's a model that's made by Hayward for Trevi, which is one of the biggest pool places here in Quebec.

Please keep in mind that we don't need the pool to feel heated, just to be swimable. Electricity here is extremely cheap so gas of any sort is not an option.
We would keep it covered when not in use.

Thanks

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-03-13 at 7.12.19 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-03-13 at 7.12.19 PM.png
    99.7 KB · Views: 136
  • Screen shot 2011-03-13 at 7.12.33 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-03-13 at 7.12.33 PM.png
    171.8 KB · Views: 136
52,000 BTU is very small, you won't get all that much temperature gain. Remember also that heat pump efficiency drops off as the air temperature goes down, so you won't be getting anything close to 52,000 BTU when the air temperature is below 50 degrees. It will extend your swim season, just not by all that much.

JasonLion said:
52,000 BTU is very small, you won't get all that much temperature gain. Remember also that heat pump efficiency drops off as the air temperature goes down, so you won't be getting anything close to 52,000 BTU when the air temperature is below 50 degrees. It will extend your swim season, just not by all that much.

I can't comment on the quality of this unit, but in seattle, we regularly heat 30,000 btu pools with heat pumps 2X larger than this to 85 degrees, so I dont see why this unit couldn't be expected to do 1/2 of the other heaters jobs.

Just out of curiosity what does one of these run?

Thanks for the info.

The unit above is $2000 new.

I've actually decided to buy a two year old Summit 2.5T (50000 btu, 32000 btu at 50F) for $1000.

Once everything is done and I have a little more understanding and experience I will update the post for future members.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.