Opening Pool

imcj

May 18, 2010
I took the cover off today...yay! We went from a freeze a couple of weeks ago to almost 90 this week...pool thermometer reads 67. Here are my first numbers:

FC 9.5
CC 1.0
TC 10.5
CYA none detected
Salt 4020
TA 90
pH 7.6

I ran my pool pump and SWG throughout the winter. With your help I got better at maintaining my pool last season, but this is my first opening after closing for winter. I imagine my first step is to get some CYA in there, right?

imcj is essentially already shocking because the CYA level is so low. My guess is the CC is only there because the pool was covered. Now that it is uncovered, I expect the CC to go away quickly without any special effort.

There is a small chance that the CC won't go away right away, and then ongoing shocking will be required. I said to only increase CYA to around 40 for now to make further shocking easier if it turns out to be required.

Day 2 numbers:

FC 7
CC 1
TC 8
CYA 45
Salt 4020
TA 90
pH 7.2
CH 380 (always high here)
temp 76

PH looks better, but CC is still 1. Shall I just add more stabilizer and wait, add stabilizer and shock or just shock?

IMCJ, are you using liquid CYA? I'm surprised it came up so quickly as it usually takes 3+ days to get an accurate reading. We usually recommend testing CYA a week after adding. I would hold off on adding any more CYA at the moment, until you can confirm the 45 reading in a few days. You may want to bump up your FC to shock level, which will speed up getting the CC's down, or just keep the FC slightly elevated for a few days. CC of 1 is not that high and should come down pretty quickly :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That question actually got me thinking. I'm getting a list together of items I need to replace in my testing kit, supplies, etc., and I didn't know if maybe I should buy the liquid stabilizer instead. What do all of you use? Opinions? I also really appreciate a sparkling pool. I know a clarifier will do the job, but is it just okay or do you have better options?

The liquid stabilizer is way more expensive than the solid. I used solid when I first started up my pool, now if I need to adjust it a little, I just use some dichlor for chlorine and shut off the SWG for a day.

As Guamguy said, the liquid is a lot more expensive than the granules and when you need to raise the CYA it's not a dire circumstance. You don't have to be in a hurry getting it done so taking time for the granules to dissolve isn't an issue.

Which test kit are you using?

+1...granules are more cost efficient. The only reason I brought up the liquid form was that the CYA test result of going from 0 to 45ppm in a day seemed suspect :scratch:

I'm using the TF-100. I think I hurried the process a little by squeezing the sock several times after the granules had softened. I saw the water turning milky white around it as it spread out into the pool. Granules weren't spreading, they had already dissolved.

Wait a few days and test the CYA again.

I know that the CYA I've bought at Wally-World dissolves really quickly and registers on the test really quickly too. I always wait a few days and test again just to be sure I get an accurate reading anyway.

Though the salinity stayed the same between the 2 tests reported - I've noticed a higher than the amount of salt added increase on a freshly reopened pool and an increase in the tested cya after the pool had run for a couple of cycles. I've attributed that to the salt being heavier than rain/ fill water (for the salinity issue) and am thinking maybe the cya also 'sinks' in the pool over the winter.

These are just my 'field' observations and would appreciate Richard's (or any other chem_geek's input) :-D

Though we usually say that once a chemical is dissolved it doesn't settle to the bottom, that's mostly the case for normal pools with circulation. If a pool is left all winter, then rain water falling on top of the pool can have it be less concentrated in chemicals especially if the water is still and cold. If there is no rain, however, then I don't think there will be much of a concentration gradient from gravity alone.

Okay, it has been 6 days since adding stabilizer and here are the numbers:
FC 5.5
CC .5
TC 6
CYA 60
Salt 4020
TA 90
PH 7.5
CH 380

I have a decent amount of fine dirt/dust that has settled along the wall bottoms and corners of my pool. I've been running Pool Rover Jr., but a lot is still there. Will adding clarifier help take care of that or what shall I do?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.