Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opening Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Opening Pool

I took the cover off today...yay! We went from a freeze a couple of weeks ago to almost 90 this week...pool thermometer reads 67. Here are my first numbers:

FC 9.5
    CC 1.0
    TC 10.5
    CYA none detected
    Salt 4020
    TA 90
    pH 7.6

I ran my pool pump and SWG throughout the winter. With your help I got better at maintaining my pool last season, but this is my first opening after closing for winter. I imagine my first step is to get some CYA in there, right?
    Intex 20'x10'x52" 5,835 gallon above ground; vinyl; Intex 2,650-Gallon Sand Filter Pump; Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System Model CS8110.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Opening Pool

Yes, get started adding CYA, but only go up to about 40 for the first round. Wait to add more CYA beyond that until your CC level goes down (which should happen fairly quickly).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Just see the CYA/Chlorine chart for salt water pools in pool school.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Man, I appreciate you guys.
    Intex 20'x10'x52" 5,835 gallon above ground; vinyl; Intex 2,650-Gallon Sand Filter Pump; Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System Model CS8110.

5. Back To Top    #5

Will imcj 's CC go down w/out shocking?

Or you mean FIRST go ahead & get the CYA to a desired level then begin shocking?

Thanks
    19,800 gallons (closed/winter 18,654 gal); plaster; 18x34 Ft kidney bean shape, Depth 3Ft-5Ft. Built 1992
    Pentair Whisper Flow Pump 1HP. Winter safety cover w anchors.
    Sand filter, Pentair Sand Dollar Top Mount Model SD80; Effective Filtration Area 3.5SF
    - FlowRate 75GPM, 8Hr 36,000, 10Hr 45,000, 12Hr 54,000; Pressure Weight 50PSI
    BBB (Hayward Chlorinator when leave town). Polaris 360 cleaner.

6. Back To Top    #6

imcj is essentially already shocking because the CYA level is so low. My guess is the CC is only there because the pool was covered. Now that it is uncovered, I expect the CC to go away quickly without any special effort.

There is a small chance that the CC won't go away right away, and then ongoing shocking will be required. I said to only increase CYA to around 40 for now to make further shocking easier if it turns out to be required.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Day 2 numbers:

FC 7
    CC 1
    TC 8
    CYA 45
    Salt 4020
    TA 90
    pH 7.2
    CH 380 (always high here)
    temp 76

PH looks better, but CC is still 1. Shall I just add more stabilizer and wait, add stabilizer and shock or just shock?

8. Back To Top    #8

IMCJ, are you using liquid CYA? I'm surprised it came up so quickly as it usually takes 3+ days to get an accurate reading. We usually recommend testing CYA a week after adding. I would hold off on adding any more CYA at the moment, until you can confirm the 45 reading in a few days. You may want to bump up your FC to shock level, which will speed up getting the CC's down, or just keep the FC slightly elevated for a few days. CC of 1 is not that high and should come down pretty quickly
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

9. Back To Top    #9

No, it is powder. I put it in a sock in front of a return as was suggested to me last season. Thanks so much for your input.

10. Back To Top    #10

Sorry, I guess it isn't powder, but I suppose you'd call it granules.

11. Back To Top    #11

That question actually got me thinking. I'm getting a list together of items I need to replace in my testing kit, supplies, etc., and I didn't know if maybe I should buy the liquid stabilizer instead. What do all of you use? Opinions? I also really appreciate a sparkling pool. I know a clarifier will do the job, but is it just okay or do you have better options?

12. Back To Top    #12

The liquid stabilizer is way more expensive than the solid. I used solid when I first started up my pool, now if I need to adjust it a little, I just use some dichlor for chlorine and shut off the SWG for a day.
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html

13. Back To Top    #13

As Guamguy said, the liquid is a lot more expensive than the granules and when you need to raise the CYA it's not a dire circumstance. You don't have to be in a hurry getting it done so taking time for the granules to dissolve isn't an issue.

Which test kit are you using?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

14. Back To Top    #14

+1...granules are more cost efficient. The only reason I brought up the liquid form was that the CYA test result of going from 0 to 45ppm in a day seemed suspect
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

15. Back To Top    #15

I'm using the TF-100. I think I hurried the process a little by squeezing the sock several times after the granules had softened. I saw the water turning milky white around it as it spread out into the pool. Granules weren't spreading, they had already dissolved.

16. Back To Top    #16

Wait a few days and test the CYA again.

I know that the CYA I've bought at Wally-World dissolves really quickly and registers on the test really quickly too. I always wait a few days and test again just to be sure I get an accurate reading anyway.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

17. Back To Top    #17

Though the salinity stayed the same between the 2 tests reported - I've noticed a higher than the amount of salt added increase on a freshly reopened pool and an increase in the tested cya after the pool had run for a couple of cycles. I've attributed that to the salt being heavier than rain/ fill water (for the salinity issue) and am thinking maybe the cya also 'sinks' in the pool over the winter.

These are just my 'field' observations and would appreciate Richard's (or any other chem_geek's input)
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

18. Back To Top    #18

Though we usually say that once a chemical is dissolved it doesn't settle to the bottom, that's mostly the case for normal pools with circulation. If a pool is left all winter, then rain water falling on top of the pool can have it be less concentrated in chemicals especially if the water is still and cold. If there is no rain, however, then I don't think there will be much of a concentration gradient from gravity alone.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

19. Back To Top    #19

Okay, it has been 6 days since adding stabilizer and here are the numbers:
    FC 5.5
    CC .5
    TC 6
    CYA 60
    Salt 4020
    TA 90
    PH 7.5
    CH 380

I have a decent amount of fine dirt/dust that has settled along the wall bottoms and corners of my pool. I've been running Pool Rover Jr., but a lot is still there. Will adding clarifier help take care of that or what shall I do?