Pool Light Replacement!

NCSalt

Apr 26, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Happy 2011 Pool Season to all...I know we are not quite there yet but it's the time of the year for us to do some major maintenance. Last year our pool light went bad and we are wondering how to replace it.

The light is located on the side wall of the deep end approximately 4 feet down from the top.
Is it possible for us to drain to that point and replace the light or do you think we should get the pool company to do it?
Is there a special light bulb to use (the one we had was a basic white/yellow) maybe it's time for some color?

Thanks!

Have a great day!
Cheerio, NC SALT

One more thing...I just researched some lighting option...and of course came across the fancy kind...I wouldn't mind having some kind of light show but I have no clue how to go about it....and if we even should attempt this on our own...like I've said there is an existing light but it's boring white and I don't know if replacing it is easy or is a electric night mare.....!

Please send me your suggestions and make them "idot" proof so I can actually handle the task...lol

Thanks,
NC SALT

Might it just be a burned out bulb? Or do you need to replace the fixture for some reason?

Assuming it is just the bulb, there is no need to drain. With the power to the light off, you should be able to remove the retaining ring that holds the light in place and lift the fixture out and up onto the deck. Then you open it up, replace the bulb and the sealing gasket, put back together and reinstall in the niche.

There are usually a couple of choices of bulb, but your choices are tied to the specific fixture you have. Once you figure out which fixture you have, you can look around and see what is available for replacement bulbs.

Hello, again,

It's a fairly easy fix but you'll have to get in the water if it's really that deep :shock: :shock: :shock: (Can you stay unlit until May?)

Basically, the light is a sealed, self contained unit that is sitting in a hole in the side of the pool. It will come out by removing one small screw at the top of the trim ring around the light.

There will be enough cord to then bring the fixture to the surface and set it on the deck. The face plate of the fixture is then removed by taking out several screws. Note carefully how it comes apart as you will be required to remake that seal waterproof when you replace the bulb. Once the faceplate comes off, (along with the rubber seal) you can simply unscrew the light bulb inside as you would an ordinary household bulb.

Buy the new bulb along with a new seal and CAREFULLY reassemble the fixture making sure it is waterproof. (I let mine float in the pool for a few hours to make reasonably sure it didn't leak before I went further)

Pool companies do this every day so it may be very reasonable to have them do it. If not, there are MANY of us here on the forum who will walk you through it.

duraleigh said:
Hello, again,

It's a fairly easy fix but you'll have to get in the water if it's really that deep :shock: :shock: :shock: (Can you stay unlit until May?)
Hi Dave~

Hahahaha, yeah I can see me freezing unless I dig out my wet suit....lol
Of course we can wait, do I want to, no, but we will!

Glad to be back...missed this forum and all the great advise, had a great season last year, no troubles at all:) Thanks to you guy's and all the stuff I've learned!

I really would like a colored light but I am not willing to pay those high end prices...woah..500 bucks for a light show, no way!
So I hope I can just replace the bulb to a colored one....anyway, I think I will call the pool co tomorrow because the other thing may be that it is the switch and not the bulb...be pretty sad if we do all the work and it turns out to be the switch...hahahah

JasonLion said:
Might it just be a burned out bulb? Or do you need to replace the fixture for some reason?

Assuming it is just the bulb, there is no need to drain. With the power to the light off, you should be able to remove the retaining ring that holds the light in place and lift the fixture out and up onto the deck. The you open it up, replace the bulb and the sealing gasket, put back together and reinstall in the niche.

There are usually a couple of choices of bulb, but your choices are tied to the specific fixture you have. Once you figure out which fixture you have, you can look around and see what is available for replacement bulbs.

That's great to know, I thought we had to drain it....:)
I will contemplate the matter and see if I rather have the pool co come out or if we will do it ourselves.... :?:

Thanks for your great info!
Cheerio!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.