NC RENOVATION

This site has been a great source of information for me so I thought I'd post some pics of my renovation that will be starting this month.

The pool is about 30 years old, concrete with plaster and a coat or two of paint over that. We moved into this house last year knowing that the pool would need to be renovated. Due to other issues with the house the pool was cleaned and patched to get through the summer. The BBB method worked great last year. Water chemistry was a little difficult because of a leak in the pool. It leaks down to about the returns. Had to add a lot of water to keep the pool full. So my CH, TA, CYA.... were getting diluted.

Plan is to remove the concrete deck. Find leak and fix. Possibly adding another skimmer. Retile, new coping, new deck, replaster. Hope to get all this done by June. Open to all comment and suggestions. First pic will be what we started with.
DJ

http://www.flickr.com/photos/glider304g ... 521996357/

Welcome to the 'page!

Good looking transformation (gotta "bag" on you a little bit for the floater in the 2nd picture though :cool: ).

One skimmer (assuming it is working!) should be fine for your pool. A second skimmer is not required until you surpass 800 square feet. If you are going to do all new tile, coping and decking, then replacing the existing skimmer, if it is bad, would be good at this time.

I see the crack in the existing decking, so make sure that when when you do the new coping you have an expansion joint between the coping and the new decking (please include the skimmer in the pool coping portion and not in the deck). The old way of doing a single pour cantilever (like you have) often creates the crack that you see when the pool and deck expand/contract at different rates. Keeping the two separate stops that.

Keep the questions (and pictures) coming!

Welcome to TFP and thanks for sharing your pictures. What a beautiful setting - can't wait to see the transformation!

Our situation was so similar to yours! 26 year old pool...leaking...deteriorating liner...had to wait several years to get this done because there were bigger issues to deal with in the house. We renovated last year, March through May, and it was a spectacular season last summer. We are doing phase 2 (just expanding the deck several hundred square feet for an outdoor kitchen area) this spring.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.