Trouble shooting 2-speed motor

JTKen

Sep 29, 2010
Central Texas
Hey folks, hope everyone is doing well, it's warming up here is Texas and the kids are almost ready to start swimming again.

Months ago, I let the pool sit for a few days and when I started the pump, it ran fine on low, but pops the circuit breaker when I switch it to high. So I'm wondering if I should change out the Circuit breaker or replace the pump? Do 2-speed pumps go out this way where the low works and the high doesn't? I'm prepared to change out the motor if necessary, but if I should try something else please let me know. Oh and is changing out a motor something a "do it your selfer" should attempt?

As always thank you for the help.

Most two speed motors use a single tapped winding so if the winding was shorted, it should be shorted on both low and high settings. However, it could be a couple of other things such as a bad switch, relay or run capacitor all of which can be fixed without changing the motor.

What model pump/motor do you have?

Are you using relays to switch between low and high?

mas985 said:
What model pump/motor do you have?

Are you using relays to switch between low and high?

Thank you for the help, there's a timer box that bypasses the toggle switch on the back of the motor. I'm not sure the brand of the motor, here's a pic of whats left.

Attachments

• IMAG0120.jpg
    IMAG0120.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 235
What sort of timer box are you using? Is it a two speed timer or other type of controller?

If the low speed switch is not disconnecting low speed when high speed is switched on, the circuit breaker will trip.

If the timer switches are working properly, then it could be the capacitor. That motor uses a permanent capacitor that can be replaced.

mas985 said:
What sort of timer box are you using? Is it a two speed timer or other type of controller?

If the low speed switch is not disconnecting low speed when high speed is switched on, the circuit breaker will trip.

If the timer switches are working properly, then it could be the capacitor. That motor uses a permanent capacitor that can be replaced.

The timer switches it from low to high (the off switch is located elsewhere) I haven't opened it up to check the wires are secured I guess it's possible something worked loose?

Attachments

• IMAG0122.jpg
    IMAG0122.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 225
The problem could be in the timer if one of the poles is stuck and not disconnecting low speed when high speed is turned on. If you are experienced working with electricity, you could try to disconnect the low speed wire and see if high speed will then work but again, only if you know how to do it safely (i.e. shut power off first).

mas985 said:
The problem could be in the timer if one of the poles is stuck and not disconnecting low speed when high speed is turned on. If you are experienced working with electricity, you could try to disconnect the low speed wire and see if high speed will then work but again, only if you know how to do it safely (i.e. shut power off first).

Thanks, that gives me something feasible I can try, I'm a formal avionics guy so I should be able to check it out without hurting myself. :mrgreen: I'm across town this week, but I'll be able to make it home this weekend and give it a try disconnecting the low. I'll report back the results.

Well I'm back :whoot:

I separated the high-switch, here's what happened.

1. The Circuit breaker on the house is not popping anymore.
2. When turning the motor on high, it would run for a second, then cutoff. After about a minute the motor clicks (CB or relay) then you can turn the motor on again and it does the same thing, cutting off after a second.
3. Now when the pump runs on low, it cuts off after about an hour, I have to wait about 10 minutes before I can turn it on again.

I'll be back home for good next weekend, perhaps then I can get it fixed for good. I sure hope, ity's warming up here and the pool is getting harder to keep clean.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It almost sounds like the thermal limiter is switching the motor off. It just takes longer on low speed. Is the motor making any noise?

mas985 said:
It almost sounds like the thermal limiter is switching the motor off. It just takes longer on low speed. Is the motor making any noise?

Motor seems to be sounding normal. It does seem to get hot enough to burn you, but I have no experience to compare this with, to know if this is normal or not.

Seems a little too hot. It could be the motor but before replacing it, I would check the impeller housing just to make sure something isn't stuck in there causing an extra load on the impeller. Either way, you have to remove the motor from the housing. While apart, you might also check the capacitor to see if it is shorted or looks to be damaged in any way. If neither of those two things are the issue, then you will probably have to replace the motor.

Thanks everyone, sorry for the late replies, I was on a temporary duty assignment, but now I'm back home full time. Motor has been running fine now on low only. I'm trying to pull out the motor now. I've got a bunch of bolts out, but nothing wants to move, so I'm gonna look for some directions.

Thanks again everyone for the help. I did eventually get the motor swapped out, keeping the SPECKS pump intact. It wasn't fun, but that was mostly because I didn't know what I was doing. I ended up taking the old motor with the propeller still attached and the Local Pool shop helped removed it. Unfortunately we lost the propeller in the process.

With the pump, propeller, and propeller gasket, I ended up sinking 5 bills :hammer:

The good news is it works and the pool is flowing high-speed again. The bad news they didn't have 2 gaskets I should have replaced. The pump is leaking a bit, so I'll need to swing back to the PS again to get those gaskets. All-in-all I'm happy, I learned something and maybe saved a little money doing it myself.

JTKen said:
The bad news they didn't have 2 gaskets I should have replaced. The pump is leaking a bit, so I'll need to swing back to the PS again to get those gaskets.

Just a quick update. Although I replaced the two SPECK pump gaskets, it didn't fix the leaking pump. Turns out I had the propellers O-Ring on backwards! The bad news is I ruined the O-ring in the process of taking it off. The good news is I didn't damage the propeller, and was able to re-use the old O-ring, and now the leak is gone.

I was also able (with the help of searching this forum) to re-wire my 2-speed pump. I put a manual high/low toggle switch on the back of the motor, and rewired the previous high/low timer to a on/off timer. I was having a hard time figuring out how to wire it right, but then I came across a picture in this thread and now it works! It's cool because now I don't have to run it 24/7 or manually run the motor. I can toggle the motor to high when the kids are swimming or I need to vacume/run the robot.

need-assistance-with-new-pump-t29604.html?hilit=Intermatic%20Mechanical%20Timer

Thanks again I really appreciate what you folks do here :party:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.