Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Going to two speed pump, request help on size.

1. Back To Top    #1

Going to two speed pump, request help on size.

I have an AGP with 8500-9500 gallons. Currently using Hayward 1.5 HP single speed pump. I'm replacing it with a two speed to save on CA electricity. I think I should get my money back quickly here.

I'm looking at Hayward SP15922S Power-Flo Matrix Above-Ground Pump 2-Speed. It will match my pad and filter with no issues since it's the same series. From reading there I believe a 1 HP on low will be plenty fine for my pool but would like to check before shelling out $300. Use 1 1/2" flex and rigid PVC, pump approx. 20' to return/skimmer.
    Garden Leisure Voyager 12x24 AGP, 7500 Gallons, Hayward Power Flo Matrix 1 HP pump, dual speed, Hayward XStream Cartridge Filter, 120 GPM,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Going to two speed pump, request help on size.

That is a good choice. I would recommend a 3/4 HP two speed, but they are very difficult to find.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Going to two speed pump, request help on size.

Thanks for the quick reply! Couple weeks and it should be warm enough to jump in here.
    Garden Leisure Voyager 12x24 AGP, 7500 Gallons, Hayward Power Flo Matrix 1 HP pump, dual speed, Hayward XStream Cartridge Filter, 120 GPM,