Help! Pool filling up with solid cover on!

Aug 28, 2009
Lehigh Valley PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hello. I hope someone can give me some insight to a problem I've had twice now. This is a new pool filled on 7/14/10. New Merlin solid cover stretching over the 18" raised spa with pillows to cover the gaps on the side of spa. After the latest rain storms my pool has filled up 5-6". It has a Merlin solid cover on it. I checked it a week and half ago and the water level was fine at that time. It was about 3 inches below the tile line. Today I flipped back a corner of the cover because I suspected it had filled up as I could see the pump on the top of the cover swaying. Sure enough it is almost to the top of the tile. That means it has filled up about 6 inches. We got rain this week of about 3 in. The raised spa also filled up about 4-5 inches. This also happened in the fall when we had a lot of rain and the people who closed the pool said it must have occurred because of the cover. They spoke with the Merlin rep. and he said on new pool covers this can happen until all the stitched areas "fill with debris" and clog up the tiny holes. Sounds like BS to me. But, why would the spa and pool both fill up? The water is also brown. It only happens after large amts. of rain. Could there be a problem with the pool? Cracks? Any insight you have would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• pool cover pic.jpg
    pool cover pic.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 117
  • pool pic 2.jpg
    pool pic 2.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 117
Welcome to TFP!!

Is the spa water also brown?

What I think happened with the pool is that all that rain flowed down the slope of your yard and collected on the pool deck and went under the cover, rather than through it.

Other than a hole in the cover over the spa, I can't see much water getting through the cover.

The pictures tell the story. Your pool is lower than a lot of ground around it. You are going to have runoff going into the pool.

I don't see a pool cover pump. Do you use a pump to pump the water off the cover? Some solid covers have a center mesh drain panel. The cover has to come with one or the other to qualify as a "Safety" cover.
Our “tension-secure” solid safety cover offers security plus a complete barrier to water, dirt, dust and sunlight. Additional features include an automatic pump or patented window mesh filter panel to remove standing water. Backed by a 10-year limited warranty. http://www.merlinindustries.com/SafetySolid.html

Thank you for your responses. I do appreciate it. I do have a pump for the cover but at the time of the pic it was on the step of the pol to remove some of the water. I sure water probably is coming in under the cover, but I was thin king the slope of our decking would be enough to keep rain out. And if it is rain running off of the landscape why is it that my spa has filled up too? That's the part I don't get.

Thanks for the feedback :goodjob:

Again, I can only assume that something poked a hole in the part of the cover that is over the spa and the water is getting in through that. I can see the discoloration where the water/ snow/ ice sat - when the cover is off for the summer, I'd look there for a tear.

Thanks for your help. I will certainly look for a tear when the cover is off. Hopefully sooner than later. And here's a picture of Fergus the pool inspector on a little R and R.

Attachments

• Fergus boating.jpg
    Fergus boating.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 49
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.