Recommend new sand filter

rnvinc

Mar 12, 2011
My pool..
24,000g IG
1 skimmer...40' of 2" PVC to pump
1 maindrain...9' in the deep end of pool....30' of 1.5" PVC to pump
2 jets....1st jet is 20' of 1.5" PVC from pump...2nd jet is 50' of 1.5 PVC from pump
1 yr old Hayward 1.5hp 2 speed Superpump (I use "Low" speed for filtration, "High" speed for vacuuming)
"BROKEN" Hayward S200 sand filter
(I remove and store the pump and strainer each winter but I just cover the sand filter)

I knew this existing filter was too small when I bought the house 4 years ago (but I was able to keep the water clear with BBB and the luck of not having any trees close to the pool)

The filter looked old when I bought the house also but I had decided to use it as long as possible because of lack of funds...

The filter now is leaking in several places and can't be repaired...and I now have the funds to replace it...

Please advise on the size replacement sand filter...
Also please advise on top mount vari-valve or sidemount vari-valve (advantages & disadvantages of each)...

I'm going to redo the plumbing at the pump pad this year anyway..so that part of the decision of top or side mount vari-valve is n/a...

Thanks for any advice...

Welcome to TFP!

I suggest looking for something with 300 to 500 lbs of sand. Larger is better as long as you have room and can afford it.

Side mount valves are easier to use, plumb, and service but they are a little more expensive. To change the sand with a top mount valve you usually have to cut the plumbing and then patch it up afterwards.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.