Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: what are you using?

1. Back To Top    #1

what are you using?

What are you guys and gals using to get your CYA levels up and where are you getting it? Unfortunantly the only place close to me with pool supplies is Wal Mart and I'm sure they aren't the best place to buy and I haven't seen any stabilizer there anyway.
    17,000 gal, IG, dark plaster, salt water
    All Jandy: 1.5hp pump, CL-460 Cartridge filters, Aquapure chlorine generator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: what are you using?

HTH stabilizer is usually fine and available at Wallyworld when they have supplies. Stabilizer is pretty low cost anyway.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

ok thanks I'm gonna keep an eye out I haven't seen any here so far.

4. Back To Top    #4

Actually Walmart is a good place to buy pool chems. I just bought a jug of stabilizer there the other day. You may have to look for it but they'll usually have it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok great I'm gonna have to check agian. Lastnight we saw everything but stabilizer. we saw 15 types of chlorine, clarifier, ph stuff but no stabilizer

6. Back To Top    #6

It might be labelled as Chlorine Stabilizer. If they don't have it, Lowe's probably does.

Or you can use dichlor shock to chlorinate until your CYA level gets to where your want it.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

7. Back To Top    #7

well I got some from a pool store since I was headed into town where they have one ...... 34 bucks for 6lbs of it and according to the pool calculator I will need most of it to get my cya to the right level

8. Back To Top    #8

I just use Tri-chlor pucks untill the CYA is where I want it. I think this is one case where using them is not only justified but preferable. No more bleach until CYA is right. I guess if it was sunny the FC might get used up quickly until CYA was high enough.
    Self built 5500 gallon bare concrete (temporarily) pool with limestone coping, Pentair Swimmey 1/2 HP pump, Triton sand filter with DE, Simpool peristaltic muriatic acid pump with pH sensor and Monarch SWG. Home made solar heater with Pentair Compool control panel and 3 way valve. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns, 2" plumbing, Hayward auto fill valve.

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

It is also sometimes called water conditioner.
    Josh Ulfers - josh@saltpoolguys.com - 888-725-8766
    SaltPoolGuys.com - AutoPilot Pool Pilot Systems, Parts & Cells - AquaCal Heat Pumps