First pool.

Mar 12, 2011
Toledo, OH
Hello. I just bought a house last fall that has a swimming pool. I love swimming but have never maintained a pool before. I have been reading up on chemistry and testing and that all seems like more of a science then an art. (i like clear rules to follow). I might be ok there, we will find out in a month or 2. My first dilemma will be opening. I should be able to reassemble the plumbing and get the pump/filter working no problem. But the cover is just a large tarp that has collected alot of rain/snow along with a LOT of leaves. Should i skim out the leaves and let the "tea" water into the pool? Should i attempt to pump this water into the river?

I wont be opening for a while yet but im trying to get a plan together now.

Edit: A few pics for good measure.

DSC_0567.jpg

DSC_0566.jpg

DSC_0565.jpg

Welcome to TFP.

Where are you located?
As you find out more about your pool add it to your signature.
Go ahead and invest in a good test kit. There's a link to the best kit on my sig.
Also consider getting rid of that chlorinator and putting a liquidator in its place.

Now to address your questions. You should skim the leaves off and pump the water off the cover. I wouldn't let any more of it into the pool than you can help.
Once you get started you'll see how easy it can be. And we're always here to help. :)

Thanks for the input. I had already figured i wouldnt use the tablet gizmo because of them raising the stabiliser levels in the pool that cant be removed. (water bills get higher every quarter) That seems to be the overwhelming opinion in all the posts i have read sofar.

The pool is 20x40. 3' deep at the stairs sloping to 10'. It has a liner in it, i asume vinyl. The filter is sand with a rating of 55psi and 55GPM. 1 horse pump. There is a shelf with various sweepers, skimmers and a leaf remover-sock thing that hooks up to the garden hose but no test kit. There are a bunch of bottles in there from Performance Pool like they were having someone else test their water. I dont like to rely on other people to maintain my stuff so i will be picking one of those up for sure. While i have some money, i am also planning a shopping trip to pick up a few cases of chlorine. I wish i could get it locally in a 55G drum. I read a few threads about using cheaper grocery store stuff like baking soda and borax instead of expensive stuff from a pool store.

Another idea i had was to use a smaller pump and 100-200 feet of black garden hose coiled on the concrete to warm up the water. Would that be wasted effort in a pool this size?

Still reading through the archives here and poolforum.com so i can have a season of swimming instead of headache.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.