Need advice on What to do!

ROB N

Nov 26, 2010
Calera, Al
We began the process of a pool build in November,I was told it would take six weeks. the builder was prompt in getting the dig completed. Got the rebar and gunite and plumbing pump filter and equip pad all done within a month. Tile went in in late December. We are to the point of backfilling, deck layout and pour then plaster. he has not showed, I have talked to him numerous times and he said he needs good weather to finish the job. The problem is he is working other builds, and has told he is coming and has not shown up. Meanwhile I have a destroyed muddy yard with a cement pond in the middle!!! :twisted: I am not sure how to proceed, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

I only have 5% left to pay... I was good with that while things were moving very swiftly... I now realize that I have 50% completion and 95% paid for. :hammer: I should have disputed that aspect of the contract prior to signing... It is our first build and i just realized i must be an idiot!!

To update: after a call from my Attorney this afternoon, I received a call from the elusive pb... His bobcat was delivered to my house and is sitting out front... The backfill will happen in the morning and we will lay out the deck in the afternoon.... After we have a long chat! :rant: I will update as we have progress. Thank you for the input! If anyone has any more Advice regarding the rest of the build I am all ears!!!

To update: pb showed up and got the backfill complete. I was very diplomatic and cordial. We laid out the deck and I was able to get him to increase the size of our pooldeck by 250 sqft! Originally we were to have 600sqft now we are right at 850sqft. He is also installing 4 umbrella inserts at our desired locations. The rebar crew is to come out this week and frame up the deck then the electrician to do the bonding. Hope to have the deck poured within a week. Then onto plaster.. Thank you for all the input and advice! :goodjob:

I had the same issues as you are indicating above. You may be a little frustrated that it's taking longer than usual, but I strongly believe pouring the deck in the spring is much better than rushing it in the fall. Here is why: frost-heave-thoughts-please-t28747.html
I suspect we'll have leaking water when we start up the pool in several weeks resulting in a concrete destruction phase and repair. Make sure they do a good job of compacting stone and enough sublayer for the deck. It really doesn't matter that you had a mud hole, IF everything works great when they're done. Given that they do everything in the Spring, you've got an entire season for the ground to settle prior to a winter issues. Mine really looks good, but I suspect I'm in for a long problem in the spring due to the fact that they did get everything done in November and December. Just another perspective to ponder on.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.