Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need advice on What to do!

1. Back To Top    #1

Need advice on What to do!

We began the process of a pool build in November,I was told it would take six weeks. the builder was prompt in getting the dig completed. Got the rebar and gunite and plumbing pump filter and equip pad all done within a month. Tile went in in late December. We are to the point of backfilling, deck layout and pour then plaster. he has not showed, I have talked to him numerous times and he said he needs good weather to finish the job. The problem is he is working other builds, and has told he is coming and has not shown up. Meanwhile I have a destroyed muddy yard with a cement pond in the middle!!! I am not sure how to proceed, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need advice on What to do!

Hey Rob, sorry to hear your troubles and I'm no expert on this matter, but it may be time to get your lawyer involved to at least determine your options.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

What kind of payment shedule do you have in your contract? Since you have quite a bit to go before he finishes, you should have a substantial amount left to pay him.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

I only have 5% left to pay... I was good with that while things were moving very swiftly... I now realize that I have 50% completion and 95% paid for. I should have disputed that aspect of the contract prior to signing... It is our first build and i just realized i must be an idiot!!
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir

5. Back To Top    #5

To update: after a call from my Attorney this afternoon, I received a call from the elusive pb... His bobcat was delivered to my house and is sitting out front... The backfill will happen in the morning and we will lay out the deck in the afternoon.... After we have a long chat! I will update as we have progress. Thank you for the input! If anyone has any more Advice regarding the rest of the build I am all ears!!!

6. Back To Top    #6

The lawyer put the fear of god in him. My guess is he'll finish it w/o issue.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

7. Back To Top    #7

Still if I was in your shoes I would be as diplomatic as possible when you talk to him. It's kind of like...you don't want your barber angry while he is giving you a haircut!
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Beez
    Still if I was in your shoes I would be as diplomatic as possible when you talk to him. It's kind of like...you don't want your barber angry while he is giving you a haircut!

I agree. You just want steady progress. No rush!
    13K Gal., Plaster, SWG, Intellichlor IC 20, Sta-Rite 1 HP Pump, Sta-Rite PLM 300 Filter, Pentair LED, Solar, Screened Enclosure, Great White, TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

To update: pb showed up and got the backfill complete. I was very diplomatic and cordial. We laid out the deck and I was able to get him to increase the size of our pooldeck by 250 sqft! Originally we were to have 600sqft now we are right at 850sqft. He is also installing 4 umbrella inserts at our desired locations. The rebar crew is to come out this week and frame up the deck then the electrician to do the bonding. Hope to have the deck poured within a week. Then onto plaster.. Thank you for all the input and advice!

10. Back To Top    #10

I had the same issues as you are indicating above. You may be a little frustrated that it's taking longer than usual, but I strongly believe pouring the deck in the spring is much better than rushing it in the fall. Here is why: frost-heave-thoughts-please-t28747.html
    I suspect we'll have leaking water when we start up the pool in several weeks resulting in a concrete destruction phase and repair. Make sure they do a good job of compacting stone and enough sublayer for the deck. It really doesn't matter that you had a mud hole, IF everything works great when they're done. Given that they do everything in the Spring, you've got an entire season for the ground to settle prior to a winter issues. Mine really looks good, but I suspect I'm in for a long problem in the spring due to the fact that they did get everything done in November and December. Just another perspective to ponder on.
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit