Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Another new guy asking about buying a ag pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Another new guy asking about buying a ag pool

I am about to purchase an above ground pool. It will be on a waterfront property (saltwater river). I am looking at a doughboy 28 ft round desert spring with sand filter with 1.5 hp pump. I believe it is a doughboy package. I was going to use an automatic chlorinator. The package costs 5,500 and the install is 1,900. I am worried about rust and the longevity of the pool since we are right off a saltwater river. we will be building a deck around the pool. What are the thoughts of the members here?

We were advised against a salt generator due to rusting. Thoughts?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Another new guy asking about buying a ag pool

An SWG won't cause damage to the pool; hundreds of members around here have AG pools with them.

As for the salt river, I don't think it would matter unless you constantly had salty spray getting on the metal parts of the pool. I'll let some others comment.

Welcome to TFP!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

A saltwater chlorine generator isn't going to rust anything. The salinity of saltwater for pools (3000 ppm) is nothing close that of something like seawater (35,000 ppm). You'll be fine. As for the proximity to the river, I wouldn't think that you would have a problem. If this were the case, we would certainly have been made aware of these issues from those AGP owners who live in coastal areas and deal with salt spray on a routine basis.

4. Back To Top    #4

>> We were advised against a salt generator due to rusting.

I live on the ocean, literally, my backyard is the Atlantic. Hundreds of pools here with SWCG.

....and sorry but I can't resist mentioning... there IS no such thing as "salt generator", as we use "chlorine generators" in pools down here.

5. Back To Top    #5

The pool will be about 105 feet from shoreline. I hope that spray will not be significant.

6. Back To Top    #6

Get the SWG (yes we know the C is left out) You will not have issues with rusting and you will love it. Makes maintenance so easy, well worth every penny.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

7. Back To Top    #7

What brand would you buy if you were me?

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Docs911
    What brand would you buy if you were me?
    Brand of pool or salt system?

AutoPilot and Goldline/Hayward both make good options for above ground pool owners.

(Disclaimer: I'm an AutoPilot dealer)
    Josh Ulfers - josh@saltpoolguys.com - 888-725-8766
    SaltPoolGuys.com - AutoPilot Pool Pilot Systems, Parts & Cells - AquaCal Heat Pumps

9. Back To Top    #9

You can see in my siggie which one I bought. Perfect for us.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!