Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water Features and Chemisry

1. Back To Top    #1

Water Features and Chemisry

forgive me if this is old ground but, i cant seem to find a previous thread on this. i recall readine somewhere that water features and other aeration can impact pool chemistry (maybe TA and CH). if this accurate and is there a good rule(s) of thumb?
    40 x 20 Freeform vinyl 30k gallon, heat pump, Hayward sand filter using zeosand, fiberglass spillover spa.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water Features and Chemisry

Aeration raises pH without affecting TA. The act of lowering the pH with acid lowers TA, so I guess you could say that aeration indirectly affects TA. It does nothing to CH, unless you count the greater evaporation causing you to have to add water and thusly add Calcium, and since calcium doesn't evaporate your CH rises.

Wow, was that clear as mud??
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Maybe its me buy that was clear! So running the waterfall could offset some ph lost to tricolor. At least a little.
    40 x 20 Freeform vinyl 30k gallon, heat pump, Hayward sand filter using zeosand, fiberglass spillover spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Bbbbjr
    Maybe its me buy that was clear! So running the waterfall could offset some ph lost to tricolor. At least a little.
    Correct, just keep an eye on your TA. The pucks will lower PH and TA, while the water features will tend to make PH rise (offsetting the pucks) it has no effect on TA, so eventually your TA will get too low and you'll need to raise TA up with baking soda.

That said, when using trichlor, also keep a sharp eye on your CYA level.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Bbbbjr
    Trichlor tabs are not a good choice as a primary chlorine source. They are very acidic and they add a lot of cyanuric acid. For your 30,000 gallon pool, every 3-inch trichlor puck (7 ounce) will increase the cyanuric acid by 1 ppm. Every ten pounds of trichlor will raise your cyanuric acid by 22 ppm.

Liquid chlorine would be a better choice for your primary chlorine source.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the insight and I have been considering moving off of triclor. It is just so darn convenient. If I do that, roughly how often would I need to add stabilizer given my other values?

7. Back To Top    #7

I usually add a little CYA only once a year, right after open. I don't have to add any the rest of the year unless we have a monsoon and lose a lot of water due to overflow. I run mine about 60ppm or so.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Aeration raises pH without affecting TA. The act of lowering the pH with acid lowers TA, so I guess you could say that aeration indirectly affects TA. It does nothing to CH, unless you count the greater evaporation causing you to have to add water and thusly add Calcium, and since calcium doesn't evaporate your CH rises.

Wow, was that clear as mud??
    If you have evaporation, and add water to refill the pool to the proper level, and the water you add has a lower CH than the water that is already in the pool, will it lower the overall CH of the pool?
    13K Gal., Plaster, SWG, Intellichlor IC 20, Sta-Rite 1 HP Pump, Sta-Rite PLM 300 Filter, Pentair LED, Solar, Screened Enclosure, Great White, TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

If you have evaporation, and add water to refill the pool to the proper level, and the water you add has a lower CH than the water that is already in the pool, will it lower the overall CH of the pool?
    No, it will still increase. Evaporation has no affect on the amount of CH in the pool. Think of it in terms of actual weight/volume instead of ppm.

So if you had, say, 1 lb of Calcium in the pool and 2% of the pool evaporated, you would still have 1 lb of Calcium. Even when you add water that is pretty low in Calcium, you are still adding some to the total so your CH ppm would increase.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    No, it will still increase. Evaporation has no affect on the amount of CH in the pool. Think of it in terms of actual weight/volume instead of ppm.

So if you had, say, 1 lb of Calcium in the pool and 2% of the pool evaporated, you would still have 1 lb of Calcium. Even when you add water that is pretty low in Calcium, you are still adding some to the total so your CH ppm would increase.

What if you drained 2% of the pool water and replaced it with water with zero calcium? Would that lower the CH?
    13K Gal., Plaster, SWG, Intellichlor IC 20, Sta-Rite 1 HP Pump, Sta-Rite PLM 300 Filter, Pentair LED, Solar, Screened Enclosure, Great White, TF-100

11. Back To Top    #11

Draining is completely different than evaporating. Draining will lower CH as long as the fill water doesn't add it back.
    So the short answer to your question is, Yes!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

You may also need to be aware of the TA of your fill water. In my pool, the spillover spa and the waterfall tend to drive up pH and also increase evaporation.

When I add water it has a TA of about 340. So even a regular 1" or 2" per week will increase TA. So the pH rises even more. So, I add MA as often as I add chlorine.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.