Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Gunite Warranty

1. Back To Top    #1

Gunite Warranty

I am buying a house with a pool and was told the only warrant that is transferrable is the gunite warranty from Modern Method Gunite. I was also told by the pool builder that they have never heard of a gunite failure. Apparently there is a $400 fee to transfer the warranty. So would it be worth $400 to have the lifetime warranty transferred? I know the answer is probably yes cause $400 is just a drop in the bucket if the gunite was to fail but what is the likelihood of a gunite failure?
    18,500 gallons, Cartridge Filter, In Ground Plaster. Jandy CL460 Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Gunite Warranty

Is it payable to the pool builder?

Have the seller pay it on their side of the HUD at closing. You shouldnt pay it, make them do it.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Correction. The transfer fee is $500. And the warranty seems to only include failure of the Gunite for compressive strength and excludes almost every other possible failure. Pool is 3.5 - 4 years old so I would imagine if a failure would occur it would have already happened.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Modern Method is a good company I even use them.... I never have heard one of there shell failing to do bad gunite issues itself.. There is so many clauses put into the warranty to remove them out of responsibility in case something fails.. Basically you will be paying them to make their wallets fatter... If it's a good pool company they would extend any type of warranty to you to build good relationship for the future..

One other thing is get a pool inspection done buy a good pool company...

So where in Houston are you located??

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm still not clear. Is the warranty from the pool builder or a warranty company?
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I would say either way he is wasting money to transfer warranty...

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Keven
    I would say either way he is wasting money to transfer warranty...
    If he can get the seller to pay it, then i say do it. Otherwise.....

8. Back To Top    #8

Keven I am in northwest Houston. Jersey Village area.

9. Back To Top    #9

I think that Modern Method Gunite is a subcontractor. Is this the Warranty?

Keven's recommendation to get a pool inspection is a good idea.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

If your looking for a pool company let me know, I can ask around a find somebody in you area... Everybody I know is on the Northside...

11. Back To Top    #11

If your looking for a pool company let me know, I can ask around a find somebody in you area... Everybody I know is on the Northside...
    Supreme pools built the pool. I have spoken with them about the equipment and they have been VERY helpful. If I have any issues I will probably call them again. Unless you know any reason not to.

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by brownchristian
    Supreme pools built the pool. I have spoken with them about the equipment and they have been VERY helpful. If I have any issues I will probably call them again. Unless you know any reason not to.
    Nope they are a good company to deal with..

13. Back To Top    #13

In the end, it will all fall on if a compaction report was supplied at the time of the build. If the homeowner represented good compaction in the pool area (typical on all pool contracts) then any failure will fall back to that. Hardly anyone has a soils report, so I doubt that was provided here when the pool was built. The gunite contractor cannot, and will not, be held liable for poorly compacted soil, if that is the case and there is a failure.

I'd save the money. If you have a gunite failure, you will have bigger problems than just that! Very uncommon to have a failure though, unless you are in sloppy soil or on a slope, etc.