Please Help - Backyard Design for New Pool Build

briansturgeon

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 22, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
We are putting in a rectangle inground either 20x40 or 18x36. We are really struggling coming up with an overall plan for the backyard as far as pool deck, patio and other landscaping features.

If anyone is bored and has the time/interest I would love some feedback (a drawing would be great :lol:)

Our yard is flat. Our house is a brick ranch with plain flat back. We have two toddlers and two big dogs.

Thanks.

Attachments

• pool.pdf
    53.8 KB · Views: 57
One thing to consider is visibility of the pool from the house and from a sitting area. The kids will swim longer than the adults, so it's nice to have a comfortable area to it and sip a drink where you can see them and be in the pool in an instant to help them. Your deck seems conveniently located, but it's worth considering.

I'd also plan for a building of some kind near the pool. Pool toys, covers, tools, chemicals etc. need a storage spot. Pool toys especially get blown around. You'll want to consider some kind of shade structure, whether it's the same structure for storage or a different area is a personal choice.

I found out really quickly that a bathroom is almost a necessity. As soon as the kids get in the water, they are ready for a bathroom trip. It's nice to have all the dripping done on concrete and not the carpet in the house.

I put up a 12X24 building with a bath/changing room, equipment area and a 12X18 screened sitting area. We like it a lot. Some folks put in a small kitchen. Although you may not be ready for such a structure now, if you allow for it when planning, you will make it easier if you decide to add it later.

Here's a picture of mine:
IMG_1071.jpg
and here's a link to a thread where I explained the details a little more.

Okay, please no comments from the peanut gallery. I whipped this out in about 5 minutes when the boss wasn't looking. It's obviously not to scale, and looks like my 4 year old drew it. I swear I've been legally able to vote for more than 20 years. :-D You could obviously add more planting beds around the pool to soften the edges, I just didn't show any to the South.

Attachments

• Pool Plan.pdf
    302.6 KB · Views: 73
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.