20x40 or 18x36 Rectangle????

briansturgeon

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 22, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
My wife and I have been debating this for a few days now. We contracted with the PB for the 20x40 but now we wonder if maybe the 18x36 would be big enough. The 20x40 we were going to add the extra 4' to the shallow end so basically the shallow end would be 20x16 before the slope starts for the deep end. That is the reason we originally went with the larger pool, we were considered about having enough shallow area. The 18x36 would have a 18x12 shallow area.

We have two toddlers. Do you think an 18x36 pool provides enough shallow area? How about for games like basketball/volleyball?

The larger one is only 2K more to build. Do you think utility costs and upkeep will be much different for each?

Just looking for some advice.

Thanks.

Depths being roughly equal, you'll have 20% more water in the larger pool which will mean 20% more in chemistry costs, roughly 20% more in electricity to run the pump, 20% more labor in cleaning, etc.

That said, it's pretty hard to find someone (but perhaps not impossible) who wishes they had built a smaller pool.

Because our swim season is only 3-4 months I would think that it wouldn't really add up to be too much. I was thinking the same as finding someone who wanted a smaller pool. I just don't want to regret not getting the larger pool if we can afford it right now.

When I was pool shopping, my wife wanted as much shallow water as possible and did not see the point in having an 8' deep end (she isn't that great of a swimmer and was afraid of water when she was young). The pool builder referred us a client to see how nice of a job he did and the first thing I noticed was the 8' end. I asked the lady if the deep end was used by the kids and she told me that yes, her kid (6 - 8 yo) are always in there, jumping, trying to go grab stuff at the bottom, ... It's the area they liked the most.

I ended up going with a deep end at the cost of not much shallow end. Sure, it's a pain to play volley ball but my oldest (6) likes to be able to jump and go swim deep underwater. I'd say that it's the area he prefers and it's a much better exercise than simply standing up in water in the shallow end. My youngest is 2, I'm hoping that he'll thoroughly enjoy the pool this summer with a good life jacket.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.