Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How often do you fill your pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

How often do you fill your pool?

I'm sure this has been discussed before but the forum search omits 2/3 of my search terms...

Just curious as to what is considered normal. I know temp, evap, splash, etc all play a factor but generally speaking, how often do you fill your pool? I have several cracks in my plaster that run very long lengths. I don't think I have a leak based on what I've read but want to be sure.

I've been carefully watching my levels for weeks. Here in N Texas our temps are topping out around 70 daily right now with very little rain so far this year. Over the past 14 days I lost approximately 1". Does this sound about right? I read somewhere that a 1/4" per day lost is considered acceptable. What's your mileage?
    18,000gal IG with FG finish + spa, Pentair CCP 420 filter, Pentair VS pump, Hayward AQR15 SWCG, Polaris 360, 325k BTU heater...

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How often do you fill your pool?

That sounds in range. I lost about 1/2 inch this week and it's not all that hot yet.

Have you done a bucket test? Put a bucket of water on your top step so it's the same height as your pool. If after a week the bucket level is higher than the pool you've got a small leak somewhere.
    16K Gal Plaster | Compupool SWG | Intelliflow VF | TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

1" in 14 days at this time of year is within normal limits. Of course, it can very based on the temperature and humidity and such, but I think that you are ok.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks to you both for replying. I haven't removed the cover yet, only peeled back the spa part so no bucket test yet. I'll definitely do that when I open the pool.
    18,000gal IG with FG finish + spa, Pentair CCP 420 filter, Pentair VS pump, Hayward AQR15 SWCG, Polaris 360, 325k BTU heater...

5. Back To Top    #5

Heck...........just all the wind we've had lately in N. Texas would almost account for that. You're good to go. Already added some water to mine.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

We bought our house with a pool last June. I actually had to drain the pool on 2 occasions due to rain. Never had to fill it. It is heavily shaded though, and water temp never got higher than 84.
    17,500 gallon 18x36 gunite pool
    Hayward super II 1.5 hp pump, Hayward cartridge filter
    Jandy AquaPure Ei SWG 35K, Raypak R6350TI-E HeatPump
    Solar cover, Loop Lok winter Cover
    Artisian Antigua hot tub, Polk Atrium 4's