Winter Damage - Best way to fix

kenmar

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 13, 2009
Schnecksville, PA
Hi,

Just looked at my pool for the first time in months (the snow just melted.)
I noticed that one of the brass bolts holding my cover down has broken.
I AM NOT a "do-it-your-selfer."

What is the proper way to fix this damage? (both structurally and aesthetically)?

Attachments

• broken_bolt.jpg
    broken_bolt.jpg
    410.1 KB · Views: 172
There is a tool sold by wingmaster that removes damaged cover anchors, this one will need to be drilled out then tapped to be removed. The wingmaster device kinda works like a wine bottle opener. Anyways, the tool is too expensive for you to buy to replace only one anchor. You might need to call a pool guy to fix this for you. The concrete is also chipped up and that can be patched with some cement but its unlikely it will match in color. The only other thing that you can do to hide the chips in the concrete is to use the "beauty collar" / escutcheon that goes around the neck of the new anchor to hide some damage.

kenmar said:
To what diameter should it be drilled out for maximum strength?

I'd patch the old anchor in, and re-locate it a few inches off to the side. You can also move is further or closer to the pool provided the strap will be tight when you hook the spring back up.

I cant tell what the deck finish/coating is in the but I'd fill the old anchor in with concrete patcher then patch the deck coating with whatever it is.

I wouldnt buy a tool that removes anchors. Just drill it out with your roto-hammer.

A shop vac should suck up the concrete pieces. It might even pull the broken anchor casing up too. If not, a couple of flat head screw drivers should be able to walk the remaining lower half of that casing out. Then fill the hole. It appears to be a simple, brushed, concrete deck. It will look like an off color stain and will slowly blend in over time.

Drill a new 3/4" hole and set a new anchor. Keep at least 2" away from the old hole for strength.

That is the 1st time I have ever seen a casing snap off. Usually, it's the top of the threaded insert that shears. I wonder if the casing is even still in the hole . It might have been flipped out in the opposite direction.

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.