Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Here are my opening numbers

1. Back To Top    #1

Here are my opening numbers

Ok so I got my base tests today to start getting my pool ready and I was wondering where I should start. I definantly will need to shock as the water is a greeen but not very bad so here are my numbers any help on which orer I should attack first will help.

salt level 4400 ppm
    FC- none detected
    PH- 7.6
    TA-70ppm
    CH-70ppm
    CYA- none detected

SHould I get my CYA up first then add bleach to shock or just add the shock then worry about cya?
    17,000 gal, IG, dark plaster, salt water
    All Jandy: 1.5hp pump, CL-460 Cartridge filters, Aquapure chlorine generator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Here are my opening numbers

There are several ways to do this. I would add chlorine to 5 ppm this evening and then check in the morning to see if there is still any chlorine left. Assuming there is some chlorine left tomorrow morning, add enough CYA to get you up to about 40 ppm in the morning and start maintaing FC around 5 as of tomorrow evening. If you lose all of your chlorine overnight, raise FC up to 15 and add CYA to 40 ppm both starting tomorrow evening and after that keep FC at 15 until it holds overnight.

Your CH level is fine for vinyl, and can wait till later for fiberglass, but for a plaster pool I would start adding CH right away.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

ok thanks will do. Its a vinyl intex pool so I wasn't worried too much about CH

4. Back To Top    #4

your CH is low but can be raised later.

I would bring up CYA so that shock will hold longer.

salt level is high. you have a SWG? 4,000 should be a limit but that can come down over time with backwashing.

5. Back To Top    #5

yes I have a swg the salt numbers surprised me since I haven't added any through the winter and a good bit of water evaporated and new water was added