lowering TA in a new pool

partypond

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 5, 2008
Frisco, Texas
Here are this mornings numbers...

FC 2.5 (added bleach to get that up to about 5)
CC 0
PH 7.8
TA 140
CH 550
CYA 35

I am trying to lower the TA and added some M acid this morning. The ph is now at 7.2 and I am running the bubbler and fountain. Am I headed in the right direction? How long do I keep the ph at 7.2 or just until TA drops? I am shooting for 100 TA - any guess on how long that should take? Why is it raising? (last week was 100 now 140)

I know my CH is high - I am hoping as I get all the sand (no landscaping yet but LOTS of sand and wind), and new plaster dust out of the pool it will come down more. I started at 600 last week.

Any other feed back?

THANKS!!

It can take a long time. If your plaster is less than one month old, it can take a very very long time, since the TA goes up as the plaster cures.

Fresh plaster raises PH, TA, and CH as it cures. This happens quickly for about three or four weeks, longer if the water is very cold. Then it proceeds more slowly for up to a year.

Jason, Thanks for the info!

Quess I will plan on just keeping the TA about 7.2 for the first month or so and then see from there.

I think that is the hardest part to new water chemistry is figuring out what your goals should be since every pool is different and so many things are happening when you first get started. :?:

Yes, it can be intimidating enough for a new pool owner, even without dealing with fresh plaster issues. Plaster pools are noticeably more complicated right at the start, which means even more to learn and more serious consequences if you aren't paying attention.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.