Basic Pool Tools

Puffin

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 23, 2010
Metro Atlanta, Georgia
I'm in the process of closing on a house with a pool, but there are no pool tools included. What would you folks recommend? (Brand, models etc...)

From lurking in this area of the forum, it seems like the basics are a brush, pool pole, leaf rake and a leaf skimmer? Am I missing anything?

For the brush it seems the Whale Wall brush seems highly recommended. What about the other tools? Are there favorites? If so, what do you like about them?

All I own are a:
Wall Whale - I agree, highly recommend and yes you would need a pole to go with it
Leaf skimmer - Not really required much if you have a automated pool vacuum. You hook it to the pole like the wall whale
Manual pool vacuum - I don't us it much, just every once in a while if I want to get bottom cleaned really well. Need a hose and pole to go with it
Automatic pool vacuum - I own the Polaris 360
AND MOST IMPORTANT A GOOD TEST KIT! - I use the Taylor K-2006C - You cannot operate a pool properly without one

For a pool pole are they all just more or less the same? Or is there one most folks prefer/recommend?

Yep, already got a test kit. Had a false start last year on house hunting, I jumped the gun and ordered a TF-100. (lol, we ended up with a small intex pool at our rental. I got to practice doing the tests on that little pool.)

Puffin said:
For a pool pole are they all just more or less the same? Or is there one most folks prefer/recommend?

Yep, already got a test kit. Had a false start last year on house hunting, I jumped the gun and ordered a TF-100. (lol, we ended up with a small intex pool at our rental. I got to practice doing the tests on that little pool.)

Fiberglass poles hold up better if you can find one. Big box stores like Home Depot and Lowes don't sell them but some pool stores do.

I just bought 2 of these 8-16 ft poles from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/8375-Adjustable-C ... 483&sr=8-1

A little on the heavy side compared to aluminum at 4 lbs, but not bad and I don't have to worry about bumping in to the power line coming in to the house in the back yard like I did with the metal pole. Seems sturdy and well made. Fiberglass poles do flex and bend more than aluminum poles when lifting debris out of the bottom of the pool, especially when extended to their full length. I did have to reglue the pole lock on one of them as I overtightened it and it came free when I finally broke it loose. I just used a little thick Kwik Bond CA glue from Hobby People and it's better than new.

They also carry 2 lb and 3 lb aluminum poles for about $15 and $20 respectively. Shipping is free over $25.

Gary

I have needed a corner brush for the spa, and a tiny SS brush there also. The spa is the first place for trouble to start and the corners of the steps are hard to get to if I have to brush. Yeah, I know I OUGHT to brush all the time, but I rarely do.

woodyp said:
A Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker is an absolute necessity!
But other than that--------what they^ said.

--Done, lol

This made me chuckle when I first saw it. But, this weekend while out shopping we saw one on clearance. It reminded me of this post. The idea of drinking margaritas by the pool, haunted me all day.

All I can say is, this machine is amazing. It really does a great job on making "Frozen Concoctions" (iced coffees, slushies and of course margaritas).

Puffin said:
woodyp said:

--Done, lol

This made me chuckle when I first saw it. But, this weekend while out shopping we saw one on clearance. It reminded me of this post. The idea of drinking margaritas by the pool, haunted me all day.

All I can say is, this machine is amazing. It really does a great job on making "Frozen Concoctions" (iced coffees, slushies and of course margaritas).

Where did you find one clearance?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
anonapersona said:
I have needed a corner brush for the spa, and a tiny SS brush there also. The spa is the first place for trouble to start and the corners of the steps are hard to get to if I have to brush. Yeah, I know I OUGHT to brush all the time, but I rarely do.

If you scroll down this page you'll see some nice corner brushes:
http://www.rola-chem.com/turbo_brush.html

JoshU said:
Puffin said:
woodyp said:

--Done, lol

Where did you find one clearance?

I found mine at walmart near my place.

Puffin said:
woodyp said:

--Done, lol

I dislike you guys; I spend enough on my pool already, and now I have to get this... My blender-produced margaritas just aren't cutting it.

The Wall Whale just puts more pressure on the brush than just a brush alone. It is a preference, but I prefer it on my pebble pool surface. As far as vinyl goes, I think it would help your back not to have to put pressure on the pole to brush your pool. Also, the fin on the brush is adjustable so you can change the amount of pressure the brush is exerting on the surface.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.