Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Basic Pool Tools

1. Back To Top    #1

Basic Pool Tools

I'm in the process of closing on a house with a pool, but there are no pool tools included. What would you folks recommend? (Brand, models etc...)

From lurking in this area of the forum, it seems like the basics are a brush, pool pole, leaf rake and a leaf skimmer? Am I missing anything?

For the brush it seems the Whale Wall brush seems highly recommended. What about the other tools? Are there favorites? If so, what do you like about them?
    19,600 gal, Vinyl, Grecian L, StaRite Dura-Glas 1 HP pump, 3/4hp booster, Pentair Clean and Clear 420 Cartridge filter
    The Pool Cleaner 4x, PoolSkim

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Basic Pool Tools

All I own are a:
    Wall Whale - I agree, highly recommend and yes you would need a pole to go with it
    Leaf skimmer - Not really required much if you have a automated pool vacuum. You hook it to the pole like the wall whale
    Manual pool vacuum - I don't us it much, just every once in a while if I want to get bottom cleaned really well. Need a hose and pole to go with it
    Automatic pool vacuum - I own the Polaris 360
    AND MOST IMPORTANT A GOOD TEST KIT! - I use the Taylor K-2006C - You cannot operate a pool properly without one
    Carlos
    Pool: 28,000 gallons IG; IC 40 SWG; Pentair 120 gpm cartridge filter; Marble finish; Pentair Wisperflow 1.5 hp; Polaris 360
    Spa: 350 gallon; Bromine
    How to shock your pool

3. Back To Top    #3

For a pool pole are they all just more or less the same? Or is there one most folks prefer/recommend?

Yep, already got a test kit. Had a false start last year on house hunting, I jumped the gun and ordered a TF-100. (lol, we ended up with a small intex pool at our rental. I got to practice doing the tests on that little pool.)
    19,600 gal, Vinyl, Grecian L, StaRite Dura-Glas 1 HP pump, 3/4hp booster, Pentair Clean and Clear 420 Cartridge filter

4. Back To Top    #4

TF-100 is a great kit. As far as a pole goes, I would be interested in hearing suggestions as well. I have always used a simple aluminum pole but at times it slips and is difficult to lock and unlock.
    Carlos
    Pool: 28,000 gallons IG; IC 40 SWG; Pentair 120 gpm cartridge filter; Marble finish; Pentair Wisperflow 1.5 hp; Polaris 360
    How to shock your pool

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin
    For a pool pole are they all just more or less the same? Or is there one most folks prefer/recommend?

Yep, already got a test kit. Had a false start last year on house hunting, I jumped the gun and ordered a TF-100. (lol, we ended up with a small intex pool at our rental. I got to practice doing the tests on that little pool.)
    Fiberglass poles hold up better if you can find one. Big box stores like Home Depot and Lowes don't sell them but some pool stores do.
    Josh Ulfers - josh@saltpoolguys.com - 888-725-8766
    SaltPoolGuys.com - AutoPilot Pool Pilot Systems, Parts & Cells - AquaCal Heat Pumps

6. Back To Top    #6

I just bought 2 of these 8-16 ft poles from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/8375-Adjustable-C ... 483&sr=8-1

A little on the heavy side compared to aluminum at 4 lbs, but not bad and I don't have to worry about bumping in to the power line coming in to the house in the back yard like I did with the metal pole. Seems sturdy and well made. Fiberglass poles do flex and bend more than aluminum poles when lifting debris out of the bottom of the pool, especially when extended to their full length. I did have to reglue the pole lock on one of them as I overtightened it and it came free when I finally broke it loose. I just used a little thick Kwik Bond CA glue from Hobby People and it's better than new.

They also carry 2 lb and 3 lb aluminum poles for about $15 and $20 respectively. Shipping is free over $25.

Gary
    26,200 gal. 35' x 16' Plaster IGP (50 yrs. old), Hayward 48 sq. ft. DE filter, Hayward EcoStar VS pump, Intellichlor IC-40 SWCG, The Pool Cleaner 4X suction, Pool Skim and Pool Devil skimmers. Re-plastered Sept. 2010.

7. Back To Top    #7

A Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker is an absolute necessity!
    But other than that--------what they^ said.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

8. Back To Top    #8

I have needed a corner brush for the spa, and a tiny SS brush there also. The spa is the first place for trouble to start and the corners of the steps are hard to get to if I have to brush. Yeah, I know I OUGHT to brush all the time, but I rarely do.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp
    --Done, lol

This made me chuckle when I first saw it. But, this weekend while out shopping we saw one on clearance. It reminded me of this post. The idea of drinking margaritas by the pool, haunted me all day.

All I can say is, this machine is amazing. It really does a great job on making "Frozen Concoctions" (iced coffees, slushies and of course margaritas).

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

--Done, lol

This made me chuckle when I first saw it. But, this weekend while out shopping we saw one on clearance. It reminded me of this post. The idea of drinking margaritas by the pool, haunted me all day.

All I can say is, this machine is amazing. It really does a great job on making "Frozen Concoctions" (iced coffees, slushies and of course margaritas).
    Where did you find one clearance?
    SaltPoolGuys.com - AutoPilot Pool Pilot Systems, Parts & Cells - AquaCal Heat Pumps

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by anonapersona
    I have needed a corner brush for the spa, and a tiny SS brush there also. The spa is the first place for trouble to start and the corners of the steps are hard to get to if I have to brush. Yeah, I know I OUGHT to brush all the time, but I rarely do.
    If you scroll down this page you'll see some nice corner brushes:
    http://www.rola-chem.com/turbo_brush.html

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by JoshU
    --Done, lol

Where did you find one clearance?
    I found mine at walmart near my place.

13. Back To Top    #13

--Done, lol

I dislike you guys; I spend enough on my pool already, and now I have to get this... My blender-produced margaritas just aren't cutting it.
    15k gunite pool. Intelliflo VF. Autopilot SWG.
    2k separate spa with waterfall (ie: pain in the rear maintaining a separate body of water). 2HP Hayward Tristar pump.

14. Back To Top    #14

Is the Whale Wall Brush more suited for use in gunite pools? I have a new vinyl lined pool and I am wondering if this is a tool needed for regular maintenance.
    Completed: June 2011
    18' X 38' IG Vinyl, 3' - 8' depth ~ 24K gallons
    2 skimmers, 2 wall suctions, 3 returns, 1.5" piping

Hayward Equipment: 1HP Tri-star 2-speed, Aqua-Plus SWG,
    Star-Clear Plus 175 sqft cartridge filter, Colorlogic 4.0 LED

The Pool Cleaner 4X(suction)
    2011 Jacuzzi J-280 Hot tub

15. Back To Top    #15

The Wall Whale just puts more pressure on the brush than just a brush alone. It is a preference, but I prefer it on my pebble pool surface. As far as vinyl goes, I think it would help your back not to have to put pressure on the pole to brush your pool. Also, the fin on the brush is adjustable so you can change the amount of pressure the brush is exerting on the surface.
    Carlos
    How to shock your pool