Pool equipment in Garage

Jul 10, 2010
I installed my pump, filter, and SWG in the garage. Mainly because I didn't want the noise outside (although I am told they are very quiet). My other thought is to prolong the life of the equipment. I have plenty of room so I didn't think it was a big deal.

Today the pool builder (who is only digging and placing pool) told me that was a bad idea, as everything in my garage will rust from the chlorine. He recommended that I place everything outside, but I really want to stay away from that. Is this the case? If so, I guess I could put some vent fans in the wall near the equipment. I have some 10 inch 12v fans we use at work to vent the gases from battery strings charging. I could connect them to my easytouch and run them on a timer. Do you think that is necessary, or should I move everything?

I agree with the installer that the equipment should be outside but for different reasons. I don't like plumbing through concrete. Plumbing repairs are far more difficult and vibrations can reverberate into the house. Leaks at the pad in the garage are no picnic either.

Scott

I put mine in the garage for aesthetics and noise reduction. Since I was building the garage at the same time, it was easy for me to leave a void in the garage floor for the plumbing to penetrate. It has all worked fine.[attachment=0:1kldwic4]tem_poolequip.jpg[/attachment:1kldwic4]

How do you intend to chlorinate? I can't imagine the PB's concern unless you go out of your way to constantly spill chlorine or store it absolutely right next to your equipment.

Attachments

• tem_poolequip.jpg
    tem_poolequip.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 272
Other than the potential flooding issue, there will be no chlorine emitted from the plumbing, unless there is a leak, so his comment to you makes no sense. Also, if you follow our guidelines in pool school and keep the pool properly chlorinated, you'll be surprised to find out that a chlorine pool does not smell much like chlorine at all :goodjob:

Mine is indoors as well. Zero issues. I ran my plumbing through the wall instead of the floor for the very reason Scott gave.

Be aware that you may be spilling a decent amount of water if you live where you winterize. I put a floor drain right next to my filter drain.

mpippins said:
Mainly because I didn't want the noise outside (although I am told they are very quiet). My other thought is to prolong the life of the equipment. I have plenty of room so I didn't think it was a big deal.........
I have some 10 inch 12v fans we use at work to vent the gases from battery strings charging. I could connect them to my easytouch and run them on a timer. Do you think that is necessary, or should I move everything?

Just some thoughts from the other side IE putting equipment outside.

Question: What is the difference between 10 inch fans running (making noise) and a the new whisper quite pool pump?

Our pool equipment is covered for both pools. The beach pool equipment is under the house (home 12 feet above ground on piling) which is open on three sides. We have a shed over our second pool equipment. But I would not put pool equipment in a garage that closes IE a garage that is not open or a carport. No matter what kind of filter you have, you WILL have to service it, not a pretty site in a garage. Also is your garage well below the house floor level, also no basement? If not, a plumbing issue could flood a living space, remember your pool has a pump and has a large amount of water to draw from to flood the area around the equipment during a plumbing failure, enough in fact to overwhelm any floor drain.

Last but not least, are you planning to live in this home until you die? If not, think about what having pool equipment in the garage might effect resale value as well as finding a buyer that will except having it in the garage.

It is very simple to put a roof over pool equipment using just four 4X4s. Also a wall facing the house/pool, can eliminate most if not all pump noise with what is available in pumps today. One of our friends with older noisy equipment put up a 6x6 landscaping timber wall between the house and pool equipment (they only needed two 4x4s and the wall to hold up the roof) to include a two foot wide 3 foot high planter as an additional noise barrier. Can't even tell when the pump is running.

It's rare for us (in seattle) to put equipment outside.

The only things that has to be done, is to elevate, and vent the pool heater. If you are using a pentair master temp, a water heater stand from HD/Lowes etc works great.

Why bother building another structure if you have space in the garage.

I dont really see a problem running the piping through the floor. Being part of a company who did this for 50+ years, it was never a cause of concern. That being said, we are first and foremost a construction firm, and are not afraid to get out a chipping hammer every once in a while ( though usually when we find leaks they are under the deck, not the mechanical room.

Currently we are working on a pool with 15 different retaining wall penetrations for the pool piping.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.