The Numbers Are In! Need help fine tuning...

SPKNout4CHRIST

Gold Supporter
Mar 4, 2011
Goldsboro, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I received my TF-100, Salt Strips, and Borate Strips in the mail today and am moving from the "Algae Topics". I just finished running all of my tests and the results are below. I have been adding bleach since Saturday to eliminate the algae and now the pool is blue and very cloudy (I can see about 6" below the surface). I will check the FC again first thing in the morning to see if it is holding.

My question is, now what should I do? Vacuum (I don't think there is a lot on the bottom from what I can tell brushing, but I cannot see down there), add salt, add other things to fine tune the numbers? Also, what numbers seem to be off for my setup? I have compared them to the suggested numbers in pool school and most seem to be in line. Thanks!

FC: 23
CC: 1.5
TC: 24.5
pH: 7.5
T/A: 70
CH: 280
CYA: 65
Borates: 50
Salt: 2070
Temp: 60

Dont add anything at this point except chlorine. You're getting there. With a CYA level of nearly 70, your right at the shock level where you should be. In fact you could be a little higher, but where you are is ok. You still have a CC value of 1.5, so you aren't quite done. You want that to be </=0.5, and an overnight loss of </= 0.5. Make sure your filter pressure is still ok. You may need to clean it again. The cloudyness is dead algea. Keep shocking and filtering and you will get there.

Ok. How much bleach should I add then in the morning? The filter has been running about the same for the past 2 days (about 6PSI higher than starting PSI).

bk406 said:
Dont add anything at this point except chlorine. You're getting there. With a CYA level of nearly 70, your right at the shock level where you should be. In fact you could be a little higher, but where you are is ok. You still have a CC value of 1.5, so you aren't quite done. You want that to be </=0.5, and an overnight loss of </= 0.5. Make sure your filter pressure is still ok. You may need to clean it again. The cloudyness is dead algea. Keep shocking and filtering and you will get there.
I concur.

Pool Calculator will do the math for you for Chlorine dose. Be sure to enter the correct strength for the bleach!

Don't even bother filling out anything but the FC, as your pH reading is suspect due to the high FC, which will mess up other calculations and just confuse things.

Ok. I checked the FC this morning and it had dropped from 23 to 19.5. The CC stayed the same at 1.5. According the the pool calculator, I need to add 258oz of bleach. I am going to backwash my filter now and then add the bleach needed. Thanks!

Dead algae will collect in dips and creases even with the pump running 24/7. If you want you can run a vacuum over the floor of the pool and what it doesn't suck up will be suspended in the water for a while and give the filter a chance to catch it as well. I would not leave an auto cleaner in the pool for an extended period of time during the shock process.

Stay the course! You are doing great!

Thanks carlos31820! :party:

When I go to vacuum do I just need to put the skimmer plate in the skimmer on top of the basket, fill the hose with water and attach to the plate and vacuum and then set the filter to waste? I have not vacuumed before, so I want to make sure I get it right.

You've got everything right except vacuuming to waste. While you can do that, I would just vacuum in filter mode unless there's an enormous amount of algae or debris. It'll cost you a little DE when you backwash but it'll cost a whole bunch of water to vacuum to waste.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bama Rambler said:
You've got everything right except vacuuming to waste. While you can do that, I would just vacuum in filter mode unless there's an enormous amount of algae or debris. It'll cost you a little DE when you backwash but it'll cost a whole bunch of water to vacuum to waste.

I will vacuum to filter then. The last time I brushed I couldn't tell that there was a lot of stuff being stirred up as I had before, so I think a lot of it has been filter out. Before I could brush and see dirt clouding to the top of the water, but the last time it was not like that.

So I just need to leave it on filter and then backwash once I have finished vacuuming?

Once I got home I tried to vacuum, but I think I am doing something wrong with the plate that goes in the skimmer. I have attached a picture of my skimmer and you can see it has curves the come out once it gets clost to the basket. When I try to put the plate in there on top of the basket it will not go down all the way. Those curves are stopping it from going down all the way.

Do I need to get a different plate or am I doing something wrong?

Here are my numbers for this evening:
FC: 16.5
CC: .5 - 1 (it was very close to being clear with one drop, but definitely was with 2) This number has dropped since this morning.

I can definitely tell a difference in water clarity today. I can see to the bottom step in the "main entrance" of the pool, but it is still cloudy, but is getting there.

[attachment=0:rx80xphh]P3090149.JPG[/attachment:rx80xphh]

Attachments

• P3090149.JPG
    P3090149.JPG
    173 KB · Views: 142
Sounds like you have the wrong plate for that particular skimmer. In a pinch you can take the basket out and just plug the hose directly into the bottom port. You'll just have to clean the stuff out of the pump strainer basket.

The vacuum plate should rest on top of the skimmer basket and be fully submerged. Try placing just the vacuum plate in position while the pump is running. The suction from the pump should hold the plate in place. The vacuum plate should not fit tightly in the skimmer basket. Youtube has a bunch of "how to vacuum your pool" videos. You may want to watch a few of those.

If there is debris (leaves, sticks, ect) in the pool be sure to stop and clean out the skimmer basket as you go.

Or you can do like bama says!

bk406 said:
Bring your FC back up to 25, your still not finished but your getting there. Just takes patience :wink:

Should I add that tonight or in the morning? It is supposed to rain a lot here starting around midnight tonight and basically all day tomorrow. Will that effect the FC? :scratch:

I have added the rest of my bleach, right at what the pool calculator called for me to bring up the level to 25. I will grab another box or 2 tomorrow of bleach. Thanks everyone for the help so far! I will keep you posted!

The numbers this morning were:

FC: 16.5
CC: 1

I added enough bleach last night that the FC probably went up to about 23. I don't have anymore bleach now and it will be after work today before I can get some and put it in. Hopefully the FC will hold some thru today since it is supposed to be cloudy and rainy all day. I am also planning to get a different plate for the skimmer so that I can vacuum soon!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.