Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Numbers Are In! Need help fine tuning...

1. Back To Top    #1

The Numbers Are In! Need help fine tuning...

I received my TF-100, Salt Strips, and Borate Strips in the mail today and am moving from the "Algae Topics". I just finished running all of my tests and the results are below. I have been adding bleach since Saturday to eliminate the algae and now the pool is blue and very cloudy (I can see about 6" below the surface). I will check the FC again first thing in the morning to see if it is holding.

My question is, now what should I do? Vacuum (I don't think there is a lot on the bottom from what I can tell brushing, but I cannot see down there), add salt, add other things to fine tune the numbers? Also, what numbers seem to be off for my setup? I have compared them to the suggested numbers in pool school and most seem to be in line. Thanks!

FC: 23
    CC: 1.5
    TC: 24.5
    pH: 7.5
    T/A: 70
    CH: 280
    CYA: 65
    Borates: 50
    Salt: 2070
    Temp: 60
    22,600 gal. Vinyl Inground, FNS Plus 60 DE Filter, WhisperFlo 1HP Pump, SWG, Dolphin Nautilus

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: The Numbers Are In! Need help fine tuning...

Dont add anything at this point except chlorine. You're getting there. With a CYA level of nearly 70, your right at the shock level where you should be. In fact you could be a little higher, but where you are is ok. You still have a CC value of 1.5, so you aren't quite done. You want that to be </=0.5, and an overnight loss of </= 0.5. Make sure your filter pressure is still ok. You may need to clean it again. The cloudyness is dead algea. Keep shocking and filtering and you will get there.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok. How much bleach should I add then in the morning? The filter has been running about the same for the past 2 days (about 6PSI higher than starting PSI).
    22,600 gal. Vinyl Inground, FNS Plus 60 DE Filter, WhisperFlo 1HP Pump, SWG, Dolphin Nautilus

4. Back To Top    #4

Measure the FC in the morning. Add enough bleach to bring it up to 25 ppm. Use the pool calculator to tell you how much to add. Keep it up, you'll get a clear pool.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by bk406
    Dont add anything at this point except chlorine. You're getting there. With a CYA level of nearly 70, your right at the shock level where you should be. In fact you could be a little higher, but where you are is ok. You still have a CC value of 1.5, so you aren't quite done. You want that to be </=0.5, and an overnight loss of </= 0.5. Make sure your filter pressure is still ok. You may need to clean it again. The cloudyness is dead algea. Keep shocking and filtering and you will get there.
    I concur.

Pool Calculator will do the math for you for Chlorine dose. Be sure to enter the correct strength for the bleach!

Don't even bother filling out anything but the FC, as your pH reading is suspect due to the high FC, which will mess up other calculations and just confuse things.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok. I checked the FC this morning and it had dropped from 23 to 19.5. The CC stayed the same at 1.5. According the the pool calculator, I need to add 258oz of bleach. I am going to backwash my filter now and then add the bleach needed. Thanks!

7. Back To Top    #7

Dead algae will collect in dips and creases even with the pump running 24/7. If you want you can run a vacuum over the floor of the pool and what it doesn't suck up will be suspended in the water for a while and give the filter a chance to catch it as well. I would not leave an auto cleaner in the pool for an extended period of time during the shock process.

Stay the course! You are doing great!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Its been interesting to follow your play by play posts. Good to see things are progressing towards a happy resolution.

16x36 Vinyl Pool - 22.5K gallons.
    Jandy Stealth 1hp pump - Jandy CS-150 filter
    Jandy Legacy 250k heater - Jandy Ei SWCG
    Jandy Watercolors LED light
    Paramount Vanquish in-floor cleaner

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks carlos31820!

When I go to vacuum do I just need to put the skimmer plate in the skimmer on top of the basket, fill the hose with water and attach to the plate and vacuum and then set the filter to waste? I have not vacuumed before, so I want to make sure I get it right.

10. Back To Top    #10

You've got everything right except vacuuming to waste. While you can do that, I would just vacuum in filter mode unless there's an enormous amount of algae or debris. It'll cost you a little DE when you backwash but it'll cost a whole bunch of water to vacuum to waste.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    You've got everything right except vacuuming to waste. While you can do that, I would just vacuum in filter mode unless there's an enormous amount of algae or debris. It'll cost you a little DE when you backwash but it'll cost a whole bunch of water to vacuum to waste.
    I will vacuum to filter then. The last time I brushed I couldn't tell that there was a lot of stuff being stirred up as I had before, so I think a lot of it has been filter out. Before I could brush and see dirt clouding to the top of the water, but the last time it was not like that.

So I just need to leave it on filter and then backwash once I have finished vacuuming?

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by SPKNout4CHRIST
    So I just need to leave it on filter and then backwash once I have finished vacuuming?
    That's what I would do.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

13. Back To Top    #13

Once I got home I tried to vacuum, but I think I am doing something wrong with the plate that goes in the skimmer. I have attached a picture of my skimmer and you can see it has curves the come out once it gets clost to the basket. When I try to put the plate in there on top of the basket it will not go down all the way. Those curves are stopping it from going down all the way.

Do I need to get a different plate or am I doing something wrong?

Here are my numbers for this evening:
    FC: 16.5
    CC: .5 - 1 (it was very close to being clear with one drop, but definitely was with 2) This number has dropped since this morning.

I can definitely tell a difference in water clarity today. I can see to the bottom step in the "main entrance" of the pool, but it is still cloudy, but is getting there.

[attachment=0:rx80xphh]P3090149.JPG[/attachment:rx80xphh]
    Attached Images Attached Images

14. Back To Top    #14

Sounds like you have the wrong plate for that particular skimmer. In a pinch you can take the basket out and just plug the hose directly into the bottom port. You'll just have to clean the stuff out of the pump strainer basket.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

Bring your FC back up to 25, your still not finished but your getting there. Just takes patience

16. Back To Top    #16

The vacuum plate should rest on top of the skimmer basket and be fully submerged. Try placing just the vacuum plate in position while the pump is running. The suction from the pump should hold the plate in place. The vacuum plate should not fit tightly in the skimmer basket. Youtube has a bunch of "how to vacuum your pool" videos. You may want to watch a few of those.

If there is debris (leaves, sticks, ect) in the pool be sure to stop and clean out the skimmer basket as you go.

Or you can do like bama says!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by bk406
    Bring your FC back up to 25, your still not finished but your getting there. Just takes patience
    Should I add that tonight or in the morning? It is supposed to rain a lot here starting around midnight tonight and basically all day tomorrow. Will that effect the FC?

18. Back To Top    #18

The rain will dilute it a bit, but you need to add the bleach now. Bring it back up. The key to shocking is to not let the FC drop below shock level for too long.

19. Back To Top    #19

I have added the rest of my bleach, right at what the pool calculator called for me to bring up the level to 25. I will grab another box or 2 tomorrow of bleach. Thanks everyone for the help so far! I will keep you posted!

20. Back To Top    #20

The numbers this morning were:

FC: 16.5
    CC: 1

I added enough bleach last night that the FC probably went up to about 23. I don't have anymore bleach now and it will be after work today before I can get some and put it in. Hopefully the FC will hold some thru today since it is supposed to be cloudy and rainy all day. I am also planning to get a different plate for the skimmer so that I can vacuum soon!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast