Putting in a pool in October

siebs

Sep 11, 2007
Windsor
Love the site!! Starting to get addicted to reading all the info. on pools.

My wife and three kids are getting pumped about our new i.g. pool to be installed in the middle of October.

We are building a 16x28 staight back kidney pool - liner type. Also getting a heater, the PB offered us a Hayward brand or a Raypak - any thought on the heater. We also wanted a salt water pool and he offered us the the Zodiac Duo Clear. After reading the forums I'm not so sure about the Duo Clear. It seems that everyone loves the Autopilot.

After the pool is built it will be closed for the winter. Is there anything I should do before closing the pool to ensure everything goes smooth in the spring? What about the Duo Clear? Should I hold off and install the AutoPilot in the spring?

I look forward to educating myself on the ownership of a pool and helping other in the future.

Siebs

The AutoPilot Digital model has some very nice features that others don't have, but quite a number of brands are all fine and some of them are less expensive. I recommend against the Nature2 system. The SWG portion of the Duo Clear is fine, but best to avoid the Nature2 portion. If the builder will give you a discount to go with Zodiac, the LM2 and LM3 systems are both reasonable systems. The AutoPilot Digital is only a little more than the LM2/3 and worth it if you aren't getting a deal to go with Zodiac.

With a vinyl liner there are no waiting periods or other special considerations, so it is probably simplest to get everything installed and setup at once.

There aren't any special closing considerations because the pool is new (given a vinyl liner).

If it's a liner pool, wait until spring to cut in the skimmers and returns - no water in the pipes means NO chance of freeze damage. They can put on all the faceplates, but don't cut them out. If it's another kind of pool, plug the ports before water is added or can get into them.

Congrats on coming here :goodjob: , welcome, and never hesitate to ask us any question you may have!!

My husband asked me to come on the site and learn a few things about pools, so here I am.

I have two questions, we heard the darker the liner the the warmer the water stays...is this true. Since we have a choice would it not be wise to choose a dark blue liner vs a light blue liner, and does it make that much of a difference

Also we might get two jets in the steps. Someone mentioned all the yuck (bugs, leaves etc) get caught in the steps area and two jets will help keep the water moving in this area thus eliminating the yuck.

Thanks again for all the help!

well i think it depends on your sun light to warm the pool with a darker liner, but i have a dark liner pool and i can tell you that it does stay warm, thats nice now, but in july its 100 air and 95 water.

i have one return in my steps, but one of my friends with a pool has two, but they bairly put out a force. but jets in the stairs really help IMO.

Siebs:

I would really question spending that money on a heater, when you look at the 4 to 5 K for one, plus the cost of running it, and the fact that it is rare for one to get past 10 years, your average heating costs will run around 600 a year or more. If its a heat pump of course. Then if it is a heat pump, this thing has to run constantly to keep the pool heated, keep in mind that you will be likely swimming when its sunny and warm out, and if you spent 2k on solar panels, you can easily get your pool over 90 degree's during the dog days of summer. Of course you are limited to heating pool big time with sun only, but remember, solar will also capture heat when there is no sun. I think with our short season and cooler shoulder season, a heat pump is not a good investment. If you did not want to go the solar route, I would go NG. It will heat the pool up 4X quicker or more then heat pump and sure will cost a lot to run, but think of it this way. You see its going to be a great weekend, but your pool is only 72. Fire up the heater on Friday AM, then by Sat Am you have it at 85 or higher. Try to do that with a heat pump, you will have to turn it on the Sunday before.

Ask yourself, will you or kids be swimming when its cooler then 20 C out? I doubt it really an that is the reason we went with solar. No annual costs to run it at all, and we went through a cool June, and wouldnt swim anyways as it was to cold out to get out of water. In August, we kept our pool over 80 every day, and got it to 93 for two straight weeks.

Just some thoughts to ponder before that major investment.

PS I am in the Maritmes

Rik

Need for Heater

I have a Raypack natural gas heater and love the convenience. It is a 400,000 BTU unit for my 30,000gal pool-use in May and Sep. In both cases, I have a solar cover on at night (bubble cover that floats on top of the water) to help the pool retain its heat overnight and it also heats the pool during the day if installed. I love the gas heater convenience. Typically, run the heater mid morning for 3-4 hr (then turn it off)to get the pool up that 6-8 degF needed to the 85F range. Cost approx $6.00 per hr (gas) to run the heater. My gas bills were $200/month in May and in Aug. I obviously do not have to run the heater every day, as the solar cover minimizes the night heat loss as well as water evaporation and also loss of chemicals via gassing. Reliability has been good and would purchase another one. As someone else stated-a heat pump may be cheaper but its heating rate is much slower-cost savings is dependent on local electric vs gas rates

I also have the Autopilot SWG and also very happy with it. Buy one that is rated "higher" than your pool capacity. Most SWG ratings are based on the pump running 24/day and you want the ability to run your pump 10-12hr per day or as needed for filtering and water clarity. (You need the pump running for flow thru the SWG generator cell)

Thank you, Thank you for all the advice and opinions! It's an expensive purchase and we want to make an informed decision.

Tuesday, we are meeting with the PB and he will provide more details on the type of equipment that he is offering. He has done some work for others in the area and does a nice job but I'm still trying to learn the basics about a pool so I can be an informed buyer.

My next question is regarding pool depth. We are looking at a sports pool and thinking 3'10" on the sides and 5 feet in the middle. Any thoughts or suggestions, from reading it appears depth has no bearing on the cost.

Thanks again

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
i kinda like diving wells, but becasue my pool is so big we have a nice big shallow end so in my case it does not matter. but i have always herd that you will enjoy more a consistant depth. I have never seen a kidney shaped with a depth like that. sounds cool.

The 'sport pools' we build are usually 3 level, 3.5' for the shallow, 4-5' for the middle section and 5-6' for the deepest. (the depth is determined by the hight of the various family members, so that everyone has a comfortable zone in which to stand.)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.