Heater head loss?

friendswoodnewbie

LifeTime Supporter
I have been trying to find out what the approximate heater head loss will be for our pool build and have not been able to find good numbers anywhere.

It is a Pentair Mastertemp 400 - I guess very common heater these days....

A Pentair support guy told me it would about 13 ft of head at 30 gpm just for the heater :shock: :shock:
He also said the head loss would be 14 ft of head @ 50 gpm. That sounds very strange to me:?:

Based on mas985 estimate and other trustworthy information, I had expected the head loss over the entire system to be <6 ft of head @ 30 gpm.

I am getting a manual bypass over the heater which certainly seems like a good idea if it truly has 13 ft of head @ 30 gpm....

Does anybody have better data?

It is really tough to find any data on heaters. I asked Hayward about mine and they gave me 3.25 PSI (7.5') @ 60 GPM. This is about twice what a cartridge filter would produce so I am thinking it isn't too far off.

The head loss in pool plumbing is mainly determined by equipment, valves and fittings. Straight pipe has a minimal impact on overall head loss unless there are extremely long runs. Anyway, because of this, you can use a simple formula to model entire plumbing systems and/or any single piece of plumbing including heaters:

Head Loss (ft) = Hf * GPM^2

For entire plumbing systems, the CEC has defined Hf (head factor) as:

CurveA -> Hf = 0.0167
CurveB -> Hf = 0.05
CurveC -> Hf = 0.0082

The above numbers are for entire plumbing systems but the same methodology can be used for a single component. Here are some of the values that I tend to use for various pieces of equipment:

Heater -> Hf = 0.002
Cart Filter -> Hf = 0.001
Skimmer -> Hf = 0.001
SWG -> Hf = 0.0001

According to Pentair's numbers, Hf would be 0.0144 for just the heater which is more than an entire plumbing system for CEC CurveC so I don't think that can be correct. 14' @ 50 GPM Hf would be 0.0056 which is still pretty large and would be a majority of CurveC head loss so I don't think thats very close either. What I have found with customer support is that it is hit or miss and sometimes you have to ask several times before you get someone who actually has a clue.

BTW for CurveC which would be typical of a plumbing system with 2" pipe and single runs, here are the corresponding head loss values for various GPM values:

30 GPM -> 7.4'
40 GPM -> 13.1'
50 GPM -> 20.5'
60 GPM -> 29.5'
70 GPM -> 40.2'
80 GPM -> 52.5'
90 GPM -> 66.4'

Mark,
I guess you answered both Jason's question and mine in one post :-D
Since I have 2 and 2.5" plumbing and separate runs I would think the 6 ft of head @ 30 gpm sounds realistic.
Do you know how a DE filter compares to a cartridge filter? I would expect it to be higher since it has finer filtering and lower flow area - both leading to higher head loss.
Actually Pentair has a curve of the head loss over the Quad DE 100 filter. Maybe I will just assume that the heater is comparable to that?

Yes, 6' @ 30 GPM is realistic and would have a plumbing curve Hf of 0.0067 which is close to my plumbing.

DE filters usually have higher head loss than a cartridge but it depends on the type of backwash valve. Pentair filters will usually have a pressure loss curve included with the filter manual. They also have the losses for the backwash valves if it is not included in the manual.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.