Getting Ready for the Season - switching to cartridge filter

tdgray

Jun 23, 2009
Akron, Ohio
First time poster... long time lurker.

I want to switch to a cartridge filter from my current sand filter this season for a couple of reasons. First, last year I switched to SWG and since backflushing, SWG and my very extensive landscaping are most likely not compatable (not to mention the loss of SW) and second, I think the pool company that opens and closes my pool each year must have damaged my Hayward sand filter last year when they put new sand in it... it kept intermitently spewing sand through the returns.

In addition to those reasons I also believe that my sand filter is undersized for my pool. Current setup is 20 x 40 rectangle with 8ft deep end, 1HP Hayward super-pump, 1-1/2 inch lines (I know bad recommendation from the pool supplier), Hayward Sand Filter (200 Lbs), Hayward H-400 heater, Compu Pool CPSC36 SWG, two skimmers - one on each side, Hayward Phantom cleaner and also Hayward Navigator cleaner

Anyway, I have done research on cartridge filters and they seem to be a good answer to my problem.

I have narrowed it down (I think) to 2 models. The first is the Hayward C3025 (325 capacity) and the other is the Pentair CCP320 (also 325 capacity). They are both around the same money.

First question - is one better than the other? Second question - I believe I have sized this correctly for my pump and pool... or did I?

Any other comments would be appreciated.

Re: Getting Ready for the Season - switching to cartridge fi

Hey,

I can't comment on the cartridge filters but wanted to welcome you to the forum and say that I think your assessment of the sand filter is correct.....it's really too small for the pool.

Others will be along soon and have better info on cartridge filters than I can provide.

Thanks for the welcome Dave... I appreciate the confimation on the small filter... I had suspected that for a year or so now so I guess they did me a favor by breaking it... made me look into it.

I welcome any and all advise... I know cartridge filters are not everyones cup of tea

Do you know the volume of the pool? Based on the dimensions, my guess is around 25k gallons and a 325 sq-ft cartridge should be a good choice. I have a 420 sq-ft cartridge on a 20k pool and only really need to clean the filter once per year. Since I assume you close your pool, your season is much less than mine (12 mo) so you will probably be cleaning the filter after startup anyway.

However, one of the downsides of a cartridge is that an algae bloom cleanup can a difficult and long process because you have to take apart the filter every time it clogs up with algae and since you probably close the pool, you may need to do that several times at the startup of every season. Just something to think about and might influence the choice of filter (i.e. make sure it is easy to take apart). What are your openings like? Lots of algae to clean up?

IMHO, I think cartridge filters are a good choice but only if you size them correctly and do not suffer from lots of algae problems. If you have to clean them more than once or twice a season, it becomes a pain.

Another option you may or may not have thought of is a separation tank. You can use a sand or DE filter and have the convenience of backwashing plus recover the water for the pool. The downside is the cleaning of the separation tank which is probably only a little better than a cartridge.

That is a very good point Mark about the algae blooms... we usually get one bad one a year... primarily in the late spring due to large amounts of rain, pollen etc... my openings have always been fairly clear expect this year I suspect (won't actually open until the second week in May)... had a timer fail late last year and did not notice the neon green pool until shortly before closing.

I have calculated my volume to be somewhere in the 25K to 27K range... do you think I should step up in size to the 420 sq-ft cartridge? My understanding is that the only advantage of more sq-ft is that you do not have to clean it as often. Am I wrong? Is there another advantage?

Thanks to all.

The primary advantage of a larger filter is the time between cleanings but a larger size might also make it easier when you do have an algae bloom as you wouldn't need to clean the cart as many times during the clean up. The larger size is a little more expensive but it could be worth it when cleaning up an algae bloom.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.