Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Pool finishes

Pool finishes

I searched for the various finishes and Pros and cons and cannot see them.

Diamond Brite
    Sunstone
    Hydrazzo
    Durazzo

Most of the pool builders were using Sunscapes or Pebbletec with a cheaper alternative of Diamond Brite but this one pushed Sunstone.

He is really pushing Sunstone and what scares me is this statement:
    "Sunstone is a true aggregate finish - there is no quartz in it."

but on CLI's website it states:
    "Transform an ordinary pool into a work of art with SunStoneĀ® exposed aggregate pool finish. This remarkable formula will add a sparkle to any pool-and yet it's as hard and as tough as any pool surface available today.

SunStoneĀ® is a combination of durable quartz aggregate and enhanced Portland cement, accented with colored quartz aggregate. "

http://www.clindustries.com/pool_finishes/sunstone.php

I know it is all marketing but has anyone used Sunstone we had 3M quartz/plaster in our last pool and it lasted 8 years until it started to get delaminate some and the "Cream" was peeling off.

doopie
    Gunite IGP, 3.5'-7.5', 21'X39.5', Jump Rock, 32' Weeping Oklahoma Creek Rock Wall, Sunstone - Black Onyx/Blue Mist ( 3:7 bag mixture ), Pseudo Spa with no heat just jets and air, Tanning Ledge, Gecko mosaics, Umbrella Pole, 2- Bubblers, 2 - Spray Fans, 2 JAndy LED lights, 2 - Jandy 1.5 hp stealth pumps, 1 - Waterco Centrifugal Filter, 1 - 580 Cartridge Filter, Oklahoma Flagstone Coping
    Textured colored concrete

Re: Pool finishes

Quartz is good. The only thing harder is diamond.

Diamond Brite is pretty good but still has a lot of plaster in it.

Durazzo ahd Hydrazzo are equivalent but differt manufacturers and have more plaster but a smoother finish. Diamond Brite should out last either because of it's higher aggregate percentage..

Sunstone is a Pebble Tec knock off of good quality material. The only question is the Who is applying it. I think my local guys are better applicators than the guys that do Pebble Tec in my area, and they are really good too.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

Thanks Scott....

I have asked the PB to provide me with 3 customers one per year of each product and the installer he will be using for our poolso that we can go see the product.

Hopefully he provides soon so we can go see before this weekend. We like the Sunscapes mini pebble and the Pebble Tec Pebble sheen finish and were hoping for one of those types of products it sounds like the Sunstone Pearl is that but not the Sunstone basic.

Thanks,

Raymond
    Gunite IGP, 3.5'-7.5', 21'X39.5', Jump Rock, 32' Weeping Oklahoma Creek Rock Wall, Sunstone - Black Onyx/Blue Mist ( 3:7 bag mixture ), Pseudo Spa with no heat just jets and air, Tanning Ledge, Gecko mosaics, Umbrella Pole, 2- Bubblers, 2 - Spray Fans, 2 JAndy LED lights, 2 - Jandy 1.5 hp stealth pumps, 1 - Waterco Centrifugal Filter, 1 - 580 Cartridge Filter, Oklahoma Flagstone Coping
    Textured colored concrete

Quote Originally Posted by PoolGuyNJ
    Quartz is good. The only thing harder is diamond.
    Topazz and saphire are harder, but who's counting.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

I want my next pool to be finished with topaz, sapphire, and diamonds. That oughta last forever!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Melt In The Sun
    I want my next pool to be finished with topaz, sapphire, and diamonds. That oughta last forever!
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.