Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bermuda Triangle effect with Salt Water Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Bermuda Triangle effect with Salt Water Pool

heh

a very typical 15k pool here (family but not mine) where I had added 2 days ago 4 bags @ 60 lbs salt and today, upon adding (what I hope) the final 2 bags (2 x 60 = 120 lbs) for a combined total 360 lbs, the pool cleaner hose experienced a "Bermuda Triangle" effect.

literally, about 5 minutes after the 2nd bag contents were dropped into the deep end, the entire length of the pool cleaner hose submerged, all the way to the bottom as in some old time submarine movie.

about 5 minutes later, the hose resurfaced only to sink down to the bottom again 5 minutes later (as I write this, the entire hose is laying on the pool bottom).

pump is running normal at 20 GPM but the surface tension is apparently gone awol. small ships nearby are also sinking (floating toys..)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bermuda Triangle effect with Salt Water Pool

Could the pool cleaner be sucking up some undisolved salt and the weight of the salt be pulling the hose down, then as the salt disolves the hose floats back to the surface then the cycle happens again with more salt?
    Mark Crook
    13,500 Gallon 24' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame
    Intex Sand Filter and Pump, Intex SWG (All hard PVC plumbed)
    TFTestKit-100---Pool School---The Pool Calculator
    Location: Copperas Cove, Texas --- My Pool Build---Useful Links for Intex Pool Owners

3. Back To Top    #3

Time to call Myth Busters.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

I'd say we need video of this phenomena! I have no clue what is going on but I sure would like to see it!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Suction side sweep?

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

6. Back To Top    #6

yes, suction side cleaner, absolutely no air bubbles in pump clear lid, totally silent operation and filter is at 1 psi (clean filter system).

as I write this the pool hose has re-emerged to surface and small ships are afloat again. no idea if crew survived. mostly barbie's and maybe one ken.

7. Back To Top    #7

Never have a sweep, especially a suction side, in the pool when adding salt until it's dissolved,

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

8. Back To Top    #8

the 120 lbs of salt (large granules of water softener salt type @ 6.00 / bag @ home depot) totally dissolved inside 30 minutes.

the cleaner is set to steer away from the deep area but has free roam of 75% of pool space.

it was fun watching the hose do it's dive-dive-dive routine.

the ships were a hoot and holler, especially popular with the dog and cats.

9. Back To Top    #9

>> Could the pool cleaner be sucking up some undisolved salt and the weight of the salt

the head of the cleaner is about 20 ft away, banished from the section where the bags were dumped. of course the solids to liquid conversion is almost immediate, so there is something like that going on.

10. Back To Top    #10

Salt water is more dense than fresh water. Probably what happened is there was saltier water in the line than the water around the tube causing it to sink.
    Carlos
    Pool: 28,000 gallons IG; IC 40 SWG; Pentair 120 gpm cartridge filter; Marble finish; Pentair Wisperflow 1.5 hp; Polaris 360
    Spa: 350 gallon; Bromine
    How to shock your pool

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by benavidescj
    Salt water is more dense than fresh water. Probably what happened is there was saltier water in the line than the water around the tube causing it to sink.
    +1 Thats exactly what it sounds like to me
    8,700 gallon IG pool (including 2000 gallon spill-over spa), WetEdge Northshore Tahoe (Satin Matrix) finish, Hayward SwimPure Plus T-15, Jandy JXi 260k propane heater, Jandy FloPro 1.5HP 2 speed pump, Jandy CS 150 cartridge filter, TF-100, Borates added, BBB is the way for me!