Getting Ready for new AG Pool

Mar 6, 2011
So my family will be purchasing an above ground pool in a few days/weeks from a local retailer who will sell and install the pool.
There are nearly a dozen pool vendors in my area and I have talked to them all. While they don’t sell the same brand names, the pricing for what I dub the middle tier above ground pool appears to be about the same. I have reviewed the forum and it appears the pricing in my area appears to be a little higher than some of the deals other members have been receiving, but while I fancy myself as a DIY person, I do not want to take on a pool for the first time. I am reserving my DIY to the deck that will attach to the pool. Oh, for reference the installed packages with filters, starter kit, solar cover, ladder, beaded liner and install in my area for a 24x52 pool are about $3800. The 27 foot I am looking at is $300-$500 higher.

I will be going with a 27 foot above ground pool. I saw dman and other posts that have 24 foot pools saying that would rather have gone to a 27 foot pool. I have the room for it but of course am concerned that the added size will obviously add to the costs.

The vendor that I like is offering Solex pools. Any thoughts there?
Other vendors were offering Atlantic/Olympia, Elite Series Soltice and Summerfield and Escalde, and then Endevaur and Oceanic.

I will also be opting for a heater for my above ground pool, so any advice or insight there would be appreciated. The pool vendor is recommending a Hayward 200,000 BTU heater for the pool.
My yard gets a ton of sun and I know a solar cover will do justice. But my neighbor has an ingound pool with a heater and other neighbor does not and it is like night and day (and I am not just talking about an IG natraully being able to maintain heat than a AG)

They are recommending a 1 ½ HP pump for the pool. I will ask them about the exact model number as I saw pool school talk about the full and up ratings. I have seen the forum posts and pool school about having a two 2 stage or variable speed pump. Should I push this issue for a 27 foot pool?

From my house to the pool is a slight down slope. How important is having a French drain in front/around the pool? The pool will sit about 16 feet away from the house.

I see the forum posts talking about a foam wall. Can anyone elaborate?
I had one vendor indicate that there claim to fame was using a foam base where the walls and liner meet by your feet. They said that was the only way to install a pool.
All the other vendors were mainly indifferent on this. One actually said not to do this because the foam would break down over time and possibly insects could eat it away.

I have not updated my signature since I don't have a pool yet, but here is what I considering.
27x52 AG
Western Pennsylvania

Lets see if I can attack these one at a time. :) Welcome to TFP.
BillyDIY said:
Oh, for reference the installed packages with filters, starter kit, solar cover, ladder, beaded liner and install in my area for a 24x52 pool are about $3800. The 27 foot I am looking at is $300-$500 higher.
These sound about right Don't put too much stock in other peoples price quotes except for order of magnitude. There's too much difference in local pricing, equipment, etc.

I will be going with a 27 foot above ground pool. I saw dman and other posts that have 24 foot pools saying that would rather have gone to a 27 foot pool. I have the room for it but of course am concerned that the added size will obviously add to the costs.
My sister has a 27'x54" pool and we have a 24'x52". I would go with the 27' if I had it to do over, BUT if you have small children the deeper pool will be too deep for them until they're about 8 years old. That may not sound like much but my grand-daughter will argue with you. :) You also need to consider the extra volume since you're going to heat it.

The vendor that I like is offering Solex pools. Any thoughts there?
Other vendors were offering Atlantic/Olympia, Elite Series Soltice and Summerfield and Escalde, and then Endevaur and Oceanic.
IMO with few exceptions, all the middle of the line pools are about the same in quality. There are differences in style, etc but the quality is about the same.

I will also be opting for a heater for my above ground pool, so any advice or insight there would be appreciated. The pool vendor is recommending a Hayward 200,000 BTU heater for the pool.
My yard gets a ton of sun and I know a solar cover will do justice. But my neighbor has an ingound pool with a heater and other neighbor does not and it is like night and day (and I am not just talking about an IG natraully being able to maintain heat than a AG).
The general concensus here is that you shouldn't consider anything less than a 400K BTU gas heater and I agree. A heat pump is a different animal but I wouldn't recommend one in your area.

They are recommending a 1 ½ HP pump for the pool. I will ask them about the exact model number as I saw pool school talk about the full and up ratings. I have seen the forum posts and pool school about having a two 2 stage or variable speed pump. Should I push this issue for a 27 foot pool?
For either the 24' or the 27' pool I would go with a 3/4 or 1 hp full rated pump and definitely get at least a 2-speed and if your per kwh costs are high you might consider a variable speed.

From my house to the pool is a slight down slope. How important is having a French drain in front/around the pool? The pool will sit about 16 feet away from the house.
That all depends on the natural drainage in your area. I'd talk to a local civil engineer. Most counties have a county engineer that will usually be glad to give you advice.

I see the forum posts talking about a foam wall. Can anyone elaborate?
I had one vendor indicate that there claim to fame was using a foam base where the walls and liner meet by your feet. They said that was the only way to install a pool.
All the other vendors were mainly indifferent on this. One actually said not to do this because the foam would break down over time and possibly insects could eat it away.
I recommend the foam wall and cove. I've heard good things about the foam bottom and have never heard of it breaking down or insects eating it.

I have not updated my signature since I don't have a pool yet, but here is what I considering.
27x52 AG
Western Pennsylvania

There are mixed reactions to the foam cove. The advantages are that it will be even in size and consistency and will not "dent" or wash out like a sand cove will. The disadvantages are that it can be difficult to work with and the extra cost. If you go down to the bottom left of this page you will see a google search box. Type in "foam cove" and it will pull up a bunch of different threads for you to review and help you make an informed choice.

Hey Billy DIY,

I am also new to this site, and have found much needed information here. I have my pool up and installed now, and I am waiting for the water to fill so I can get it up and running. I saw the price you posted and was wondering what type of pool this is, resin or steel ledges. Also, I ordered my pool from the internet and had it installed by a reputable local installer here in the Atlanta area and so far I am very happy with what I got for my money. There are mixed reviews on nationalpoolwholesalers.com
but for me it has been a great experience and I saved over 1500 dollars compared to the local pool dealers. You might take a look at their website before you make your final decision. Their pools are some of the best pools manufactured today. If you are at 3800 at the local dealer they should be able to save you at least 800 at national pool wholesalers. Just a thought, and good luck with your decision!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.