Gold Line Aqua Rite says Inspect cell

larbec

Mar 7, 2011
I had the salt system installed in 2009 and when I turned everything on the other day my panel says "inspect cell" normally i can just disconnect it, run some water through it and it resets.

What do I need to do? Should I clean it some how if so how? I will assume as long as it says inspect cell I am not generating salt??

Could it be the water temp is too cold? It is 53 degrees

Thanks in advance!

Cold water can cause that error. It is probably a good idea to inspect the cell anyway. You should be able to open up the unions and look in the end of the cell and see the cell plates. They should be either silvery metallic or black, and completely free of debris, without any white crusty deposits. If you see a white crust you will need to clean the cell.

Correct, that error means the SWG is not working. SWGs never work very well at cold temperatures anyway. Most likely it will be better when the water warms up a little.

The check cell light shows up about every 500 hours as a reminder to check the cell. As far as I know and have seen the system has no way of knowing if anything is wrong with the cell to activate the light and it is purely based on the time factor.

For some reason they don't mention this in the manual and it causes huge confusion for Aquarite owners. Pressing and holding the diagnostic button for 3 seconds should reset it.

Thanks Jason,

The cells are white, how do you clean them? There is a white power chord hooked up to the cell so how do you disconnect that OR does the inside pieces come OUT of the unit?

Important things to look for with cells:

Equal length blades. There should be little sign of erosion, especially on the leading edge. If you see dark edges near the center and the cell's controller is indicating a problem, the cell is likely spent.

Smooth surfaces. Roughness is either erosion or calcium. Soaking in a 4 parts distilled water/1 part MA solution should clean up any stuck on calcium deposits.

Scott

larbec said:
How long to you soak them?

mix like Scott said. you should see some bubbling. that means the scale is being removed. Also very important is to not submerse the chord compartment section of the cell. keep that above the water and acid mix.

what I did was use a chemical garden sprayer. cut the top off, fill it with water up to the top part of the raised ring which has the hayward and cell info printed on. That would be around 3/4 of the water. then fill up to the start of the chord compartment with acid. I lift the cell out of the mixture and back in a couple times to mix the solution. the water and acid should come up to where the scale is on the sensor if you look inside the cell but no higher otherwise you will damage the chord. and the chord can not be replaced.

Leave it in for like 1-2 minutes if really bad scale. wash with hose and then back in if needed. repeat until all the scale is off.

Aquarite/Goldline/Hayward cells have plastic over the blades so you can't see the blades to tell if they are equal in length. Some local retailers are given cell testing stations which work really well to see if there is any life left on Aquarite/Goldline/Hayward cells since you can't seem them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hayward will sell you an acid wash stand/ rig that mates to the threaded end. Being cheap and not having time to get on delivered, I figured out that a #11 expandable rubber plug works great :) I plug the non cord end and fill the cell with the 4:1 mix, put it in an empty 5 gal. bucket (to prevent spill problems)and let it soak for 2-5 minutes. Rinse with a good pressure hose and repeat, if needed.

Thanks, I put a plastic baggie on one end with duct tape and it worked great. I finally called Gold Line and the tech told me i would take a few days b4 the light will go out. He said I was generating salt but it needed to get a higher reading to go off

larbec said:
Thanks, I put a plastic baggie on one end with duct tape and it worked great. I finally called Gold Line and the tech told me i would take a few days b4 the light will go out. He said I was generating salt but it needed to get a higher reading to go off

Were you getting a "check cell" or "check salt" error?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.