Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cool Deck Paint Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Cool Deck Paint Question

Hello again, the cool deck around my pool was painted with the wrong type of paint and its a disgusting red color. The paint is chipping all around the pool, I think they just used an indoor paint or something? So I went to Home Depot to try and rent a power-washer but the guy told me I wouldn't be able to take the paint off with a pressure washer and I would have to pay someone about $1,000 to grind my deck down and then have it re-cool decked again. Me being so stubborn I bout muriatic acid and borrowed my dads low-power pressure washer (about 1500psi) the ones I could rent are about 3000 or 4000 psi. Too my surprise I would pour the acid on my deck and brush it around a little bit and then use the pressure washer and it SLOWLY takes the paint off my deck. Im wondering if I should go back and rent a pressure washer to see if it will take the paint off faster, and do you think I should try something different than the murdic acid. Here are some pictures of spots that I have gotten the red paint off my deck.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In-Ground Fiberglass 3,500 gallon pool
    Jacuzzi CFR Cartridge Filter
    1.0 HP A.O. Smith Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cool Deck Paint Question

We are having a cool deck installed... How long have you had yours? And is this a common phenomenon???
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

You may need a more powerful power washer.

Quote Originally Posted by ROB N
    We are having a cool deck installed... How long have you had yours? And is this a common phenomenon???
    Cool deck needs to be refreshed every so often (not all that often). It looks like in the case above they didn't use a good paint for this application. Olympic makes a product called Patio Tones which is perfect for this: http://www.kelleytech.com/olympic/olymp ... oating.asp
    Josh Ulfers - josh@saltpoolguys.com - 888-725-8766
    SaltPoolGuys.com - AutoPilot Pool Pilot Systems, Parts & Cells - AquaCal Heat Pumps

4. Back To Top    #4

This will be my sixth year with kool deck. It is not painted! They have a selection of colors that are available from kool deck. No paint needed. The link is to the manuf. of my kool deck.

http://www.mortex.com/products/kd.html
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

5. Back To Top    #5

No it is not a common phenomena at all, you shouldn't have to paint your cool deck at all. The people that previously owned my house just used an outdoor paint which isn't the right type for a pool deck. I am using a paint stripper that works great!!
    In-Ground Fiberglass 3,500 gallon pool
    Jacuzzi CFR Cartridge Filter
    1.0 HP A.O. Smith Pump